John Deere 4230

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Would like opinions from the tractor experts on board... :)

Been thinking about a "possible" purchase of a 1977 JD 4230 with loader & hay spear. Is the HC QR model with cab. It has about 3,000 hours since overhaul.

The 2008 Kelly Blue Book for this model (without loader) (I assume the Cab was additional optional purchase on tractor) shows Average retail price for a 1977 to be $8,720 with high retail to be $10,790. I'm guessing the loader and hay spear are probably about $2,500 extra in used condition.

What's y'alls opinion of the JD 4230, and, a reasonable price for one?

1977 JD 4230 with Cab, HC QR, with loader & hay spear. $_________ value?

Thanks,
Bill

you said the motor was OHed 3000hrs ago.hows the tractors transmission an hydrolics.are the tires in good shape.hows the paint on the tractor.does the cab have A/C.if everything is in good shape that tractors worth $12000 to $16000.

up here 2wd 4230 with no loader but with cab is around 16000 -19000, i would watch it with the loader because you have alot of horse power pushing on that and things are only built to with stand certaint amount of pushing power

glover36":1aj9ksja said:
up here 2wd 4230 with no loader but with cab is around 16000 -19000, i would watch it with the loader because you have alot of horse power pushing on that and things are only built to with stand certaint amount of pushing power

It has a JD 5500 Loader on it.

Running Arrow Bill":3qnbbh6b said:
glover36":3qnbbh6b said:

It has a JD 5500 Loader on it.

I could be wrong but I don't think deere ever made a 5500 loader? Quad trans can be expensive to fix if you have problems with it, but I like using the quad trans.I would say 10-15 grand for tractor. loader depends what it is the old 148 loaders will bring 2,500 and up around here.

bigbull338":1vhjzfgm said:
you said the motor was OHed 3000hrs ago.hows the tractors transmission an hydrolics.are the tires in good shape.hows the paint on the tractor.does the cab have A/C.if everything is in good shape that tractors worth $12000 to $16000.

That's what I think it's worth in good shape. What's the total hours on the tractor? Never seen a 5500 loader either.

pinz i know my dad couldve bought a 4230 in 75 for $12000 new.ran it for 10yrs an sold it for $15000 to $18000.but he waited an bought a ford later.said the jd cab was to noisey.

cfpinz":19cyit99 said:
bigbull338":19cyit99 said:

That's what I think it's worth in good shape. What's the total hours on the tractor? Never seen a 5500 loader either.

All I know at this point is that both the tractor and the loader have "official looking" yellow plackards on them indicating a 4230 Tractor and 5500 Loader. It all looks like original equipment on loader... Since I haven't been a JD owner before, I'm just trying to determine if this "might" be a good deal or if something has been modified or disguised in some way.

Even though the owner is one of the "2nd or 3rd generation farmers" (for what that's worth), it is interesting to note that he said the tractor was a 1978 model; however, according to 2008 Kelley Tractor Blue Book, JD did not make a 4230 in 1978...last year I found was 1977.

cfpinz":348naa3b said:
bigbull338":348naa3b said:

I think that value is pretty accuract as well, depending on overall condition.

I thought all JD loaders were three digit numbers. I.e. 720, 730, 740

i think the reason he said it was a 78 is because he bought it new in 78.its really a 77 tractor sold in 78.

Bill

FWIW I own a 4230 that I bought for haying and hauling hay. I really like it. I paid $12000 CDN three years ago, but it looks rough, but Mechanically it is pretty sound. Mine is a very early model, 73 production and has 10,000 hours on the clock. I replaced the original seat with a personal posture seat out of a '40 series. It bolts right up to the existing suspension. Since everything else on the place has pioneer couplers, I replaced the barrels in the couplers with the conversion kits available from Deere. I have heard some people have problems with these kits, but I have had no problems so far.

Pros.

It was as relatively cheap. Love the Quad range for baling. Shift up and down if the windrow gets heavy or thin. Has plenty of power to run a NH664 baler. Good hydraulics. VERY comfortable to ride in. All controls are placed where it is easy to use and natural to find. New seat is WAY more comfortable than the original. Cab is not as quiet as our 2755, but is still reasonably quiet. IT is MUCH quieter than cabs from other makes of the same age. If you find it too loud I have come across some discussions on the 'net on making the cabs quieter using components and concepts from later series cabs.

Hooking the bale alarm from my baler was a piece of cake. There is an electrical circuit breaker under the cowl in the cab that you can hook a wire to which makes the monitor shut off when the ignition key is turned off.

If you wanted to put a loader on it, the front end is built heavy and should take the abuse of carrying round bales. There is enough iron there to handle a bale on a loader without too much need for added weight.

Parts support is great from Mother Deere and after market sources. Also there are a lot of mechanics out there with a experience with these tractors. This tractor is 30 years old. Things are going to break and wear out.

Cons

It is rather cold blooded to start. Fine in the summer, but when the temps drop in the '40's a short time with a block heater will make a big difference. Batteries and cables make a big difference in cranking speed and thus starting. Mine has 00 cables and has two 12 volt batteries in parallel rather than the factory set up of two 6 volts in series to produce 12 volts. I have started mine in sub zero weather with no assistance, but it was not something I would recommend all the time.

Fuel consumption is not as good as some tractors in this size range. Some people have unreal expectations when it come to fuel consumption. If you are asking a tractor to put out 100 Hp, it will not burn 1 gallon an hour. If fuel economy is a real issue, look at a 4 cylinder diesel with a turbo, like our 2755. The 2755 is a good tractor, but when it comes to heavy duty jobs, the engine delivers, but there is not enough iron there and it gets pushed around.

The AC is not as good as later series Deeres. If there are problems a good AC man should be able to get it to cool adequately.

IF you have time and a little more money a 4040 is just a slightly updated 4230. Better cab and AC, I've been told. For me, my 4230 has been a lot of bang for my buck and I am glad I bought it.

John

The reason I'm asking questions about the 4230 is that it is a possible "side" purchase on a property we are considering buying. There is about 40 acres or so that is tillable land that we would be planting winter grazing as well as putting some bermuda on other area for more permanent grazing.

I've never had a tractor with a cab, much less with air cond. The vast majority of any work I'd do with it would be probably not more than one day's work. Noise isn't issue since I've always run tractors "au natural" when I used to work on farm.

The seller of the property also has a JD Grain drill (12-14') along with about a 10' disk. Would use "this" tractor (if I bought it) to disk the land part and sow seed plus move round bales. Our Kubota would continue to be used for small jobs, mowing, etc.

Since the JD 4230 has more power than I'd really need, IF the seller wouldn't make us a deal we couldn't refuse...lol...then I'd plan to buy a 40-60 hp used green, red, or related tractor to disk, move bales, and sow.

R. John have all the same pros and cons as you, just finished baling 60 round bales with our 4230 great tractor, other than any temperature below 0 degrees it sucks until she gets fired up. also we have a 2755 great tractor accept she like the fuel, i like how high it sits up, have you had power steering problems with yours?

A 4230 isn't a bad tractor, however I am going to add to R. John list of cons:

1) The front ends are weak for loader work. Expect to snap spindles if you're handling large round bales or travelling over uneven ground with even medium sized bales on the front. There are several 4230s in my area, and the dealer keeps several spindles on hand.

2) The transmissions are weak. Watch your linkages so they don't fall out of adjustment. A good friend babies his 4230, but didn't adjust the linkages properly and he'll be starting his second transmission rebuild this year.

Personally, when you add up the pros/cons, I wouldn't have a 4230 within miles of my place. There are equal or better tractors out there for less dollars. Stick to the brand names like NH, Case, Massey, or JD and you won't have parts problems at all, even on a 30 yr old tractor.

Rod

glover36":2ymmporu said:
We have a 2755 great tractor accept she like the fuel, i like how high it sits up, have you had power steering problems with yours?

No trouble with the power steering on any of our tractors, other than the two 510's have Wally Armstrong Power Steering :D

Rod (DiamondSCattleCo), I'm surprised your neighbor has had trouble with that transmission. All it is, is the old 4020 transmission with a hydraulic hi/lo in front. They used it right up to the 55 series in the early 1990's. I did hear however, that shifting the range lever (ABCD) without stopping the tractor CAN damage the transmission. The 1234R1R2 shifting can all be done on the fly. I've also heard of internal wear, after many hours of hard tillage work, the range lever wants to pop out of one range, or shifting problems caused by aging cab mounts compressing, but never transmission failure by improper adjustment. Without knowing any details, I wonder if your neighbor had a poor rebuild and got fed a line by the shop that did the repair.

As for the front ends, Again I will not disagree with your experience. Case had the strongest front end of that vintage, but Deere should not have been too bad. One of the upgrades sold to guys with 4020's with loaders is either Case or '30 series Deere front ends to replace the original front end. The original 4020 spindles were far too weak. In our frozen climate, carrying round bales over frozen cow manure is rough on a front end.

John

Yep, I know its the old 4020 transmission, but they just didn't seem to take alot of use and shifting. Of course, I've got a 4020 with failing transmission so maybe us northerners are hard on equipment. ;)

I've always thought the best tractors from that era, at least for loader work, was an '86 series IH or an 1105/1135 Massey. The IH was the tougher tractor all around, but the Massey had that great big bugger of a hydraulic pump on it. Not to mention that Massey parts are half the price of green, and 30% less than IH or Case. Lets face it, no matter what color strikes your fancy, they all break. :)

Rod

Latest posts