John Deere 285 Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

jlwilson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a lurker, not a poster, but just have to post about my new John Deere 285 mower. It's awesome. I mowed about 6 hours today ( don't know how many acres or whatever that is :), I was traveling about 3.5 mph) and it was perfect. I didn't mow just pristine hay meadows, I mowed whatever looked like grass. I'm a brand new 'hayer' as I've never as much as thought of cutting hay. I've done quite a bit of brushhogging, so I'm not completely new, but never with a cutter.

Just my 2cents worth :)

Joyce

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new mower. I just traded in my John Deere 275 disc mower for a Kuhn 11'6" trailed type disc mower. I got tired of having to spend 30 minutes hitching it to the tractor (and I even have a quick hitch). It was a great mower just a pain to hitch up. I decided against a disc caddy and just went with a trailed disc mower.

On nice smooth hay meadows I mow at 7.5 mph, on the rougher ones around 5 mph.

BTW if you don't know Kuhn manufactures the 5 series disc mowers for Deere.

Thanks for the welcome! I am so new at this that I don't even know what questions to ask :oops: . I have now cut a few ( probably 10 or so) acres at around 3 mph. They were fields that were reclaimed and had some staubs in them. I only tripped the breaker bar 3 times :D . I just got a Vermeer 1022 Rake and will start raking on Sunday. I have a John Deere 468 Baler coming on Monday. Let the adventure begin :D

Any and all advice is really, really welcome!!!

Joyce

Latest posts