John Deer 6125 3pt buttons

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm using a John Deere tractor that has buttons to raise and lower the 3pt.

When you press up it goes all the way up or down. If it's on it's way up and you press it again it will stop I think. Even when it goes down it appears to be floating or some thing.

It's a real pia trying to hook or unhook implements because it goes too high or low and I dont really trust it. Had it move on me a couple times at random.

Any help would be appreciated. I dont know why people cant just have a lever... up is up... down is down... real easy for simple folks like me.

I'll try to get a pic here in a little while.

A couple of our newer tractors have a setting where you can use a rocker switch to raise the implement all the way up/down at the end of a row if you wish. In normal (Position?) mode, the lever or round dial that controls the 3pt has infinite adjustment. I'd dig around in the owner's manual and figure out where that setting is on that particular tractor and go from there. I don't use 3pt implements enough to be familiar with the terminology.

Those buttons on the side should be for raising and lowering to heights predetermined by the controls to the right of them. I think after you hit the up button you should be able to lower the 3 pt slowly using the slider between 1 and 9. Always takes me a minute of fiddling to get my head around it every year lol

Those buttons on the side should be for raising and lowering to heights predetermined by the controls to the right of them. I think after you hit the up button you should be able to lower the 3 pt slowly using the slider between 1 and 9. Always takes me a minute of fiddling to get my head around it every year lol
Any idea what the dial does?

The dial appears to set the low limit, or something to do with the draft.

You'll need to get a manual and see how it is supposed to work before going any further. Every tractor is different in that regard, and the operation of the different modes can be complicated.

On our tractors with electronic draft, it needs to be put in manual mode before it will raise or lower without the buttons. The buttons are basically an auto up/down to predetermined heights, for turning around at the end of a row. Push the button to go all the way up, push the other to go all the way down, easy.

Looks like draft, and I don't understand how draft works other than somehow it keeps your implement at the right spot when going over hills and such. Hopefully someone can explain draft to both of us lol

Draft is used for tillage implements, it essentially maintains a constant draft or depth of cut. It measures the amount of pull on the 3pt, if it's pulling too hard, it will raise, if not enough, it will lower.

My brother has a 6150M. It is the most complicated tractor I have ever operated. On it, the dial on the right sets the working depth (how far down the arms go) when you use the lower button on the left side of the hitch control pod. To set the working depth position, push down on the dial and rotate it to desired position. If you use the raise/lower buttons on the left side of the control pod, the hitch will lower to that set position each time. So it sets the lower limit when using the buttons. The slider in the center with numbers sets the upper limit or can be used to raise and lower the hitch (like old tractors with a mechanical lever rotating a shaft).
Here is where it gets complicated. The 6150 has a small button that you press to bring up a screen display to set amount of draft control. The setting is 0 to 5. 5 is pure draft control. 1-4 is mixed control. 0 is pure position control. This MUST be set to 0 in order to hook up or unhook. Otherwise, it will be whacky and probably not safe to mess with.
The 6150 has buttons on the fenders at the rear for positioning to hook up. Those seem to be pretty straight forward.

Here is a manual for a 6125. See section 50. Be prepared to spend a little time trying to make sense of it. The days of the 4020 and 4430 are long gone. So many features now. Too hard to understand and too expensive to keep working. He gets engine and transmission codes often that result in derating the HP. The dealerships sure struggle to solve problems on these new tractors.

It's pretty simple and once you get used to it you will love it. Dial sets the stop under your slide ( that band with the bump to the left) or your lower limit. Set the slide at your lowest desired setting and then just use the buttons.One click up, one click down always stops the same place. If you are grading and trying to feather something use the slide. Draft is usually a separate dial off to the side and raise lower speed are under the little door at the back of the "mouse". An implement you raise and lower a lot it is a lifesaver. Little buttons on the rear fender lets you work 3pt from there for hooking up implements.

Last edited:
The guys above have covered it in better words than I could ever clammer together. By the picture above, that appears to be a cheaper (E or D) series tractor based on the non-reverser transmission. I'm surprised it has the fancy controls for the 3pt because of that, to be honest.