Jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

mossy_oak23

Reaction score
If you have gone to college and studied Livestock Production are there many job openings available? Is it even worth it to go study this in college?

I guess it depends where you live, if you plan on living somewhere else, etc. Different parts of the country have different opportunities. Also depends which school you are going to, if they have a good program; and what you want to do. If you just want to do "something" livestock related I'm sure you could find a job. But if you want to do something in particular, that might not be the case, or you might want to add a minor to your studies like business or whatever depending on what you want to do. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is talk to someone in the industry in your area. Best of luck to you.

I am in Canada and wouldn't mind moving anywhere within Canada. The school itself is across the country for me.

I have an associate degree
At that level I might have done as well just getting on the job experience. Although there are lots of things I learned that opened my mind to the bigger picture-
A higher degree is useful in getting management type jobs at bigger operations.

Schooling never hurts even if it doesn't end up being directly useful in what you end up doing.
The associate degree does qualify me better for jobs other than working directly with cattle.

Well, I wonder if something a bit broader might serve you better. I'd think most livestock-related jobs would be willing to look at a guy with, for example, an animal science degree, which might make you more marketable to a broader field of employers.

I have always felt that you should choose your career and life's work by what you enjoy doing and are good at, not according to some published report of where jobs will be.

If you enjoy what you are doing you will be good at it. If you are good at what you do and willing to work harder than most you will find a job.

There are always jobs somewhere for folks that want to work and love what they do. Decide what you want to do and do it. You will find a job, especially if you are flexible on where it is. Good Luck. jim

I graduated Dec. of '08 with an Animal Science degree. I haven't found much for jobs in my field. But I chose Animal Science because it is something I enjoy and wanted to study, not because of job availability.

The job market is bad now. One of our daughter's graduated last May (Texas Tech) with a major Agricultural something (I forget) and minor in Animal Science. She wanted to become a 4H Extension Agent. She can't find a job and most of her friends who graduated with her are in the same boat. The way things are, the majority of the Extension jobs that she qualifies for are open to internal candidates only.

She has a part time job as an after school tutor.

The school offers both Animal Sciences and Livestock Production. Both programs have the same courses in the first year however in the second year obviously the livestock one tunnels its focus more on...well...livestock. I too am thinking maybe taking the animal sciences will leave more doors open...

Go into whatever you enjoy more. Most of the time the type of degree doesn't matter as much as simply having one. I wouldn't let job availability dictate what I do. But maybe you shouldn't listen to me. I got a double bachelors in Chemistry and Natural Resource Management and wind up milking cows for a living. Go figure. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Either of those degrees will help you out. It may not be a glamorous job, but you can find one in your field somewhere in Canada. You might be selling feed, or fencing supplies. Most new grads (I graduated from the University of Guelph in 2007) don't want to take a job with "sales" in the name. I was one of those people. What I have learned in 3 years is almost everything is sales. You may be selling a service instead of a product, but it's still sales. The exception to that is working for a farmer or rancher doing the hands-on work. In that case your experience will be worth more than your degree, but the degree gives you some options.

mossy_oak23":1vuaoc7l said:
If you have gone to college and studied Livestock Production are there many job openings available? Is it even worth it to go study this in college?

You'd probably do better with a major in management or ag eco. and a minor in animal science.

I would be willing to bet that the jobs that might be available with a big ranching or purebred operation would be looking for someone with lots of experience, rather than a "book learnin'". I've worked with lots of the above over the years, and they seem reluctant to give a "newbie" a full management position if they are fresh out of school.

I think the job market is incredibly tight in almost every profession right now.. except perhaps health care.

JH_cattle_co":2g1jun6x said:
If your wanting a ranch management job, come to Texas and go through TCU's Ranch Management Program.

Go Frogs!
Entrepreneurial Management class of 08'

TheBullLady":oyl85d40 said:
I would be willing to bet that the jobs that might be available with a big ranching or purebred operation would be looking for someone with lots of experience, rather than a "book learnin'". I've worked with lots of the above over the years, and they seem reluctant to give a "newbie" a full management position if they are fresh out of school.

I think the job market is incredibly tight in almost every profession right now.. except perhaps health care.

I know what you mean...that being said I have no experience and at-least by going to school I should be able to get my foot in the door for a low end job and potentially work my way up.

Problem is I'm very interested in this but wasn't born into it.....

I could always marry a ranchers daughter :cowboy:

mossy_oak23":kbpfj02t said:
TheBullLady":kbpfj02t said:

I know what you mean...that being said I have no experience and at-least by going to school I should be able to get my foot in the door for a low end job and potentially work my way up.

Problem is I'm very interested in this but wasn't born into it.....

I could always marry a ranchers daughter :cowboy:

Nah....find you a very successful "rancher's widow". :lol2:

Latest posts