Jmb traction

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw him at Deer Valley and a lot on his progeny. Will add thickness, not as much length, not bad. Good looking cattle

Protect them on frame.

I saw a bunch Saturday. Really good, deep flanked cattle, reminds me of a Connealy type. big open ribbed deep flanked, thick enough, struggle to be large enough unless bred to a big cow.

jscunn have you used him yet?

As of 4-5-17

MILK 55 (.36)

$EN -56.05

It just keeps going higher :eek: :shock:

We just have one due in September ....

I only used a couple of straws don't know if any of them took yet. I used CC&7 when he was +52 and now he is much lower than that. CC&7's heifers milked better than the average heifer couple that with the ridiculous amount of adjustment they give young cows and the first couple of years a bulls milk EPD can skyrocket. That being said the fertility and breed back on the CC&7's was really really good. Checkout his pathfinder daughter % (pathfinder daughters/total daughters eligible) One way you can tell how good fertility is on a sire IMO.
As far as Traction goes I cant see enough vertical growth (ie Frame) for them to be that hard doing. Just isn't that much cow there to take care of. If they don't work for me they wont work for a lot of people. We take awful good care of our cows during breeding season. (Winter pasture, good hay, and feed if necessary)..

The bad news is I used him as a numbers improver on a couple of cows that needed help on everything but Milk EPD.. I am a genius.. :dunce:

A guy recommended him to me (based on the catalog alone). I'm a bit unimpressed with his CED and DOC. Also thinking of Hoover Elation, GAR Sunrise, Deer Valley Old Hickory (for my non-Weigh Up daughters).

Had our Traction calf this AM. Out of a six year old, 100# Traction bull calf. Big bone, SOLID. She calved 5 days early.

Of course on the day it's 95 in mid/late Sept.

torogmc81":30get45k said:
Had our Traction calf this AM. Out of a six year old, 100# Traction bull calf. Big bone, SOLID. She calved 5 days early.

How has that bull calf grown?

I have one heifer out of a black pearl daughter (who is a big cow).. The heifer is a midget.. (not a dwarf, don't want to scare anyone here). Too small, nice package but gives anyway an awful lot of performance to the other bulls we use. She is probably 100 - 125 lbs smaller than her same age contemporaries.

hornedfrogbbq":2b5fhh8l said:
torogmc81":2b5fhh8l said:

How has that bull calf grown?

He's doing real good IMO. i have a few pics i'll try and get on here. Im waiting on his 50k test results also, anxious to see those too

He is stout like two day old coffee....and i LOVE two day old coffee! Nice bull calf...really nice.

Well, never mind on the Traction bull calf. DNA came back, he's not out of Traction. We had sync'd this group, and the other mature dam(who missed) with this bull calf's dam. My tech bred the other cow to the Traction straw looks like, and gave the Capitalist (intended for the one that missed) straw to the dam of this eventual bull calf. So if you watch the video, you're looking at a Capitalist bull calf, not a Traction :?

Had a Traction calf last night. Out of a soon to be 7 Year old, right on her due date. Watched at 11pm, was starting the "stand up, lay down, stand up" routine. Came back 90 min later and calf was looking for a teat on strong legs. 97#. This dam has produced 5 heifers, one bull. Four females in a row.

Here's a BW comparison

1. Reg Angus bull - 95# C (assisted)
2. Reg Angus bull - ??# B
3. VAR Reserve - 90# C
4. Power Tool - 80# C
5. Capitalist - 85# C
6. Traction - 97# C

Latest posts