Jersey x holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
Just wondering what's everyone's thoughts r bout this cross. I just bought a jersey bout a month ago n she was breed with a Holstein. She had her calf n it's a heifer. I'm thinking bout keeping her.

Hojos make excellent dairy cows, but not very good beef cows.
2 neighboring dairies both good dairy farmers, one loves them, the other tried them and hated them.
Size is between Jersey and Holstein with higher fertility.
Hojos milk more than Jerseys but have lower butterfat % and protein.
Hojos produce less milk than holsteins, but have a higher % butterfat and protein.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I got 2 other beef cows. N I'd probably breed her with a beef bull. But I couldn't find a whole lot bout them online. Do they make more or bout the same amount of milk as the jersey?

That cross makes a good dairy cow but their offspring are generally duds

No, when it won;t breed back sell it for slaughter. Also sell all the offpsring

We have some members that are breeding their HOJO to Viking Red or Norwegian Red bulls. Another good cross would be the Normande, they are another good dual purpose breed from France, should compliment the HOJO quite well.

cbcr":2yzq1yas said:
We have some members that are breeding their HOJO to Viking Red or Norwegian Red bulls. Another good cross would be the Normande, they are another good dual purpose breed from France, should compliment the HOJO quite well.

I like Normande.
I have never worked with Viking Red, but I herd they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire.

Stocker Steve":1etuu49k said:
cbcr":1etuu49k said:

I like Normande.
I have never worked with Viking Red, but I herd they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire.

The Viking Reds are Swedish Red and White, Red Dane and the Finnish Ayrshire. They are found in several Ayrshire pedigrees in Canada and the US. Where ever you heard that they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire didn't know what they were talking about!

Petercoates87":27zrblqv said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I got 2 other beef cows. N I'd probably breed her with a beef bull. But I couldn't find a whole lot bout them online. Do they make more or bout the same amount of milk as the jersey?
I would sell her to a dairy farm and use the money to buy a real beef heifer.
Otherwise if you insist on keeping replacement females from her try to select a very low milk beef sire.
Hereford would put a white face on them and would at least look like beef cattle at 1st glance.

If the parents are good the crossbred should be a good dairy cow. Likely have more milk than the Jersey owing to she's bigger and has the benefit of hybrid vigour.
If you don't know the full parentage it's not likely a dairy would buy her - they've mostly got enough heifers of their own and they know exactly where they came from.

I wasn't planning on selling her I want to keep her to use for milk n cream like her momma. I have only told a few people bout having milk n cream n now I got people calling n texting me about it. My god its like Crack. But I'm just wondering how she might preform when it came to milk amounts. I like her cause she is small 40-50 bw. I have another beef cow thats 1/8 holstein. Honestly only for its so hard to find a beef cow here in newfoundland I'd get rid of her. She eats more than my other 2 beef cattle n don't got a great udder. But my plan is just to breed them all beef. Even the jersey for now. I don't got the barn space or the hay ground for anymore than 4 cows n calves.

In Australia they made a study comparing the Jersey x Holstein cross against the Australian Friesian Sahiwal in very harsh environment, the cross outperformed pure Holsteins and Australian Friesian Sahiwal on Milk Yield, pregnancy rate and age of calving.

gaurus":jt8alxj1 said:
In Australia they made a study comparing the Jersey x Holstein cross against the Australian Friesian Sahiwal in very harsh environment, the cross outperformed pure Holsteins and Australian Friesian Sahiwal on Milk Yield, pregnancy rate and age of calving.

Over what period of time was the test conducted?

TexasBred":3uopsrfu said:
gaurus":3uopsrfu said:

Over what period of time was the test conducted?

https://clunyexports.com/wp-content/upl ... CATTLE.pdf

"Jersey x Holstein Crossbreds
The success story of the Jersey x Holstein crossbred worldwide in tropical regions is acknowledged and well documented. It includes countries such as Mexico, Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia, it is the Jersey component that provides the heat resistance and the toughness"

gaurus":1r0saucj said:
"Jersey x Holstein Crossbreds
The success story of the Jersey x Holstein crossbred worldwide in tropical regions is acknowledged and well documented. It includes countries such as Mexico, Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia, it is the Jersey component that provides the heat resistance and the toughness"

I feel bad for the Guernsey breeders, but why do you think Normande was not included?

The Normande is more of a dual purpose breed that leans more to the dairy side, but not as productive as the dedicated milking breeds, I believe that a Jersey/Holstein cross will out do any jersy/Normande or Holstein/Normande cross in term of feed cost milk production specially in the tropics.

Latest posts