Jersey Genetics? HELP!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Sire: GIPRAT BELLES JADE ET 10008436
Dam: PLEASANT VALLEY PRIME HEATHER 110432463 EX-96
0705 2X 305d 20,750M 6.6% 1364 F 3.8% 790 P HUH?
MGS: GIL-BAR SPARKLER PRIMETIME 663520
Third Sire: VALLEYSTREAM J I S JUNO 25R 137836

Dam's milking record:
0705= age at time of test, 7 yrs, 5 mos.
2x 305d= for this test record, she was milked twice daily for 305 days to get the following numbers.
Total of 20,750 lbs of milk containing 1364 lbs fat and 790 lbs protein.

cowmilker":1k02nwz4 said:
Dam's milking record:
0705= age at time of test, 7 yrs, 5 mos.
2x 305d= for this test record, she was milked twice daily for 305 days to get the following numbers.
Total of 20,750 lbs of milk containing 1364 lbs fat and 790 lbs protein.
Is that good? Average? What does that info mean to you?
Thanks
Valerie

Production records are kind of like dam production for beef cattle... Helpfull but not the whole picture as you'll never know what conditions the parent cattle were under but the progeny are from a cross section of herds with all different management styles so we get a real picture of what the progeny do. Progeny is the proof... Rather than looking at parent production, try looking at progeny production.
What do you want from your cattle? What is important to you? Do you want picture perfect cows? Do you want cows thatproduce quality milk regardless of what they look like? Do you want cows that are low maintenance?
Give me some guidelines and I'll be more than happy to help you through it but I need to know what you want from a dairy cow before I can point in the right direction. :D

Ok, here goes - I think.
I'm planning on milk production for the farm not necessarily a dairy. Would rather have high amounts of rich cream than milk. I noticed some bulls are better at cheese making than others.. that would be great. Picture perfect udders would be nice and sturdy legs.. shall we say correct for all the right reasons not necessarily picture perfect. Fertility - heard some carry a gene that can be a problem - and longevity. I'd take low maintenace if possible. Gentleness a must!
How's that for a start? Since you are better at this than i am, how would you go about it. All I know is the Jersey heifers I bought are from heifers that produced 50lbs milk from 25lbs grain and pasture. 2 of the heifers are very quiet and one is skittish - she balks at strange things , like my wearing a rain coat for instance.
Valerie
PS. I realise several generations will probably needed to stack what I'm after. Feel free to give direct that way... breed to this bull then that resulting heifer to this one, etc.

My pick would be either Iatola or Legal. Iatola has a little better component percentages(components=fat/protien). His milk is negative but it would still be way more than enough for your needs. His DPR(Daughter Pregnancy Rate) is above average and his SCC(somatic cell count) is below average so they should be reletivly trouble free... You'll likely still run into mastitis but genetically speaking you should have less of it. Type wise Iatola is about as close as you'll get to being a one generation fix. They are really good cattle and have the added benefit of long teats which is a big plus on jerseys.

Legal is pretty similar on all of the above but he's gotmore milk and a little lower component %'s. I haven't been around as many of them but they're suposed to be really fancy cattle.

As far as disposition, I've never really noticed alot of problems with any jerseys. They can be QUIRKY as all get out but I've really never been around any that were mean. The cow we had as a family milk cow was an Iatola... Full of quirks like being scared of the feed scoop but then she'd walk up and lick it the next time she saw it... Never mean, just strange. I do think the Danish cattle are a little less quirky overall so the advantage might go to Legal on that as he's a Lemvig son and Iatola is straight US bred. I walk around five thousand head of jerseys every day from all different sires and I get kicked maybe twice a month so I'd have to say they can all be gentle once they get used to the routine.

cow pollinater":2852c4br said:
My pick would be either Iatola or Legal. Iatola has a little better component percentages(components=fat/protien). His milk is negative but it would still be way more than enough for your needs. His DPR(Daughter Pregnancy Rate) is above average and his SCC(somatic cell count) is below average so they should be reletivly trouble free... You'll likely still run into mastitis but genetically speaking you should have less of it. Type wise Iatola is about as close as you'll get to being a one generation fix. They are really good cattle and have the added benefit of long teats which is a big plus on jerseys.

Legal is pretty similar on all of the above but he's gotmore milk and a little lower component %'s. I haven't been around as many of them but they're suposed to be really fancy cattle.

As far as disposition, I've never really noticed alot of problems with any jerseys. They can be QUIRKY as all get out but I've really never been around any that were mean. The cow we had as a family milk cow was an Iatola... Full of quirks like being scared of the feed scoop but then she'd walk up and lick it the next time she saw it... Never mean, just strange. I do think the Danish cattle are a little less quirky overall so the advantage might go to Legal on that as he's a Lemvig son and Iatola is straight US bred. I walk around five thousand head of jerseys every day from all different sires and I get kicked maybe twice a month so I'd have to say they can all be gentle once they get used to the routine.
Thanks for the info, also, where do I get this bulls semen?
I have a heifer like the quirky... she is afraid of everything out of the ordinary but not mean. The Other 2 heifers are gutsy and sweet natured. Hubby was tying down their neew building before the storm and one heifer picked up his plastic bag of parts and went one way - tail in the air - the other heifer picked up his ratchet and proceded to trot the other direction. It was hilarious!!! Hubby took back the parts and then they nabbed his hat and took off. Catch me if you can was a favorite game of theirs that afternoon...lol
Valerie

Gotta love jerseys. :lol2: Always playing with something or licking something. There used to be a dog that lived across the street from my big customers dairy that would walk out into the pen and roll over and fall asleep with a hundred cows licking his belly. They never got tired of that daily ritual and neither did the dog. :lol:

You can call 1-800- ABS-STUD to order the semen or get in touch with a rep in your area which I can help you find if you'd like. Iatola may be on backorder for a week or two since some dummy out in California just tried to order two thousand units and they had to fill part of the order with another bull... If you have to have it right away let me know and I'll tell them to cancel some of my order and fill with something else. Otherwise he should be available within the next month.

ordering well in advance is a good idea. I ended up in the same sitation in 09, the rep ended up reccomending another bull because, well, if you've got a six week AI season and an imported bull gets held up by paperwork... he ends up in storage for next year.

cp, I think the way you guys handle dairy cows over there make a big difference to the disposition. My herd is extremely placid for NZ conditions and I know there's some bulls whose daughters will give me a hard time when they first calve... and to me that's unacceptable because I don't have time to baby one heifer while she's getting used to the milking routine.

cow pollinater":fh6kdc3v said:
Gotta love jerseys. :lol2: Always playing with something or licking something. There used to be a dog that lived across the street from my big customers dairy that would walk out into the pen and roll over and fall asleep with a hundred cows licking his belly. They never got tired of that daily ritual and neither did the dog. :lol:

You can call 1-800- ABS-STUD to order the semen or get in touch with a rep in your area which I can help you find if you'd like. Iatola may be on backorder for a week or two since some dummy out in California just tried to order two thousand units and they had to fill part of the order with another bull... If you have to have it right away let me know and I'll tell them to cancel some of my order and fill with something else. Otherwise he should be available within the next month.
Thanks for the offer, I won't be ready for a little while. It will be June before all3 are yearlings.
Valerie

regolith":1rs0ruac said:
ordering well in advance is a good idea. I ended up in the same sitation in 09, the rep ended up reccomending another bull because, well, if you've got a six week AI season and an imported bull gets held up by paperwork... he ends up in storage for next year.

cp, I think the way you guys handle dairy cows over there make a big difference to the disposition. My herd is extremely placid for NZ conditions and I know there's some bulls whose daughters will give me a hard time when they first calve... and to me that's unacceptable because I don't have time to baby one heifer while she's getting used to the milking routine.
I just found out there's a guy about 50 miles north of me that is handling NZ Jersey AI sire semen. What would you recommend for the heifers from NZ sires? Hopefully he will have that or can get semen should I decide on your countries sires.
Thanks
Valerie
PS> MUST HAVE GENTLE genetics!!

I can only honestly recommend bulls I've used myself, and of those Hermann's Red Ribbon - I love those girls, they're larger framed, decent udders and seem to get better every year - and Hawthorn Grove Zeus with the qualification that my good Zeus heifers (they are 2 years old this year, the RRs are 3 and 4 years) are crossbreds and the one pure Jersey I had was a little too frail for my liking. He is a very small-statured, neat uddered bull.
The heifer I posted in the 'baby bulls' thread the other day is sired by Tahau Northern Lights, I think I've got two to calve for the first time next year. I'm hoping he will be good, proof again shows him very small statured, neat udders and good temperament.

I can let you know my what I think of their current 'production and type' NZ proof if you're loooking at any other bulls from Ambreed or LIC. So far as temperament and adaptability goes I avoid anything with a minus score and prefer to pick from bulls that are 0.2 or over. For udders, as high as possible, minimum about .4. Red Ribbon and Zeus both have scores 0.9 or over. Avoid Manhatten if you can (yes, he's a good bull but not consistent and there are genetic issues) most of his sons have OM or Man as their middle name, Okura Lika Murmur is one to watch for the future, still young but his proof is strong in most areas.

regolith":2jousv6l said:
I can only honestly recommend bulls I've used myself, and of those Hermann's Red Ribbon - I love those girls, they're larger framed, decent udders and seem to get better every year - and Hawthorn Grove Zeus with the qualification that my good Zeus heifers (they are 2 years old this year, the RRs are 3 and 4 years) are crossbreds and the one pure Jersey I had was a little too frail for my liking. He is a very small-statured, neat uddered bull.
The heifer I posted in the 'baby bulls' thread the other day is sired by Tahau Northern Lights, I think I've got two to calve for the first time next year. I'm hoping he will be good, proof again shows him very small statured, neat udders and good temperament.

I can let you know my what I think of their current 'production and type' NZ proof if you're loooking at any other bulls from Ambreed or LIC. So far as temperament and adaptability goes I avoid anything with a minus score and prefer to pick from bulls that are 0.2 or over. For udders, as high as possible, minimum about .4. Red Ribbon and Zeus both have scores 0.9 or over. Avoid Manhatten if you can (yes, he's a good bull but not consistent and there are genetic issues) most of his sons have OM or Man as their middle name, Okura Lika Murmur is one to watch for the future, still young but his proof is strong in most areas.
Thanks, I'll have to see what this guy has in his tank. I do prefer the smaller/old time Jersey but do need abilty to perform in Northern Missouri. It's good to know what to stay away from as it is to know what to use.
Supposedly the girls dams (which were heifers) gave 50lbs milk a day and were on grass with 26lbs grain a day. That's all I know about them, except they are supposed to be pure Jersey but no proof of that.
Valerie

Honestly, for what you want them to do for you, NZ genetics may well be a really good choice if you have easy access to it and the price is right. They are promoting cattle that eat grass and turn it into milk and everything I've mentioned is proven on modern dairies feeding TMR(total mixed ration). That would also make your genetic decisions easier in future generations as outcrossing would be really easy using popular US genetics.

cow pollinater":i0q2rqw6 said:
Honestly, for what you want them to do for you, NZ genetics may well be a really good choice if you have easy access to it and the price is right. They are promoting cattle that eat grass and turn it into milk and everything I've mentioned is proven on modern dairies feeding TMR(total mixed ration). That would also make your genetic decisions easier in future generations as outcrossing would be really easy using popular US genetics.
What would you consider as a good price? Hopefully I can get sexed semen for females.
Valerie

Red Ribbon is available $NZ8 within New Zealand, LIC owns him and have no idea how good he is. The brand new high index bulls I can get $15 - 20 usually, older bulls can be cheaper and if it were me, especially since you're only breeding three heifers, I'd be looking to the older bulls with lots of daughters and a highly reliable proof.
Cheapest sexed is about $60 up to $100 in this country. There's only a few bulls available sexed though, usually the most popular ones.

Latola has been used here in Australia with pretty good results maybe look to either Australian or NZ for grassfed milk production. I think ASTOUND was a doing very well in the USA we have a few of his daughters & they were great well attached udders good teat placement, feet & legs. Another thing you check on is teat length you don't want cows with short teats milking machines need to be able to stay on & if your going to hand milk you definitely don't want to be using the 2 finger technique when milking

Latest posts