Jersey cow

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz

Reaction score
Our Jersey cow calved two weeks ago, but lately I've noticed small amount of what looks like old bloody drainage on her vulva. Should I give her an antibiotic and which one would be best?
Liz

Leave her be. It's just part of the normal cleaning process. Sometimes last a month or (rarely) 6 weeks. She's just expelling the detritus left over from carrying a calf.

Thank you all so much.
I was really worried about that.

I only have 5 cows and have noticed that they all seem to be losing hair in different spots.
Some on their back some on their legs and face.
They lick themselves often and rub their faces on trees and in the dirt.
Is this something I need to worry about or are they just being cows?
Thanks again
Liz

NC Liz":3egny6e6 said:
Thank you all so much.

I only have 5 cows and have noticed that they all seem to be losing hair in different spots.
Thanks again
Liz
Lice, very comon this time of year. Get a pour on like Boss or UltraBoss and use it. Whatever you use make sure it isn;t a grubacide and that it works for lice and not just flys.

It;s a pour on insecticide. You can order it online at valleyvet.com, jeffers, it (or it's equivelnt) should be available at TSC or your local feed store.

NC Liz":p2cd1uv5 said:
Thank you all so much.

Thanks again
Liz

:welcome: Liz!,

It would be helpful to all if you listed your general location, you can do this on your "user control panel". The reason I suggest this is I live in a very wet and rainy part of the U.S. so this time of year ... Every year I'm dealing with rain rot. Rain rot shows up as patches of hair loss and some rubbing, but it's a fungas not a parasite like lice, the treatment for rain rot is different than lice. Although I agree with others your cows most likely have lice. Here in the wet part of the pacific northwest going into spring, this month I deal with rain rot in a month or two it will be lice :? . That's why a general location is important, different areas deal with different issues and sometimes the symptoms are very similar.

:tiphat:

heath":1lbph8jn said:
Just guessing, but with her username being NC Liz, I would think shes probably from North Carolina.

I saw that also and had guessed at the same thing. But in my case western Oregon's environment is completely different from the 2/3 of Oregon east of the cascades. Same goes for Washington. So is why I listed NW Oregon, kathie listed "Washington the dry side".......

I had the vet out today because my dog got hit by a car and he looked at my cows while he was here.
He said it was rain scald instead of rain rot.
As I understood him rain rot is fungal and rain scald is bacterial and if they are treated they need different kinds of meds.
He said in my area and this years bad rainy weather he is 99% sure it is rain scald and that I really didn't need to worry or do anything as he has seen lots of it this year.
But if I wanted to do something to give them some termycin crumbles 2 (?).
Thank you all so much for your help
Liz