Jersey cow and calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
http://us.mc1207.mail.yahoo.com/mc/show ... G_0339.jpg

http://us.mc1207.mail.yahoo.com/mc/show ... G_0341.jpg

Well idk know if i just opened a window for anyone and everyone to get into my email but oh well tell me if you can so i can change it....

Jersey cow with jersey holstein cross HEIFER calf the man say the person he bougt her from didnt feed her well but she is producing about 1 and a half gallon of milk a day.. they are milking her a little twice a day.......he wants 850 for them.....is this a good price

She might be ok. If the calf is sucking and she is still giving 1 1/2 gal that is pretty good. I see some "home" cows priced for 1200 without the calf.
By home cow I mean one that is milked by hand for your own use.

well she is producing about half gallon to 3 fourths a gallon after the calf but she is in low bcs and that may be why i just wanted everyones opinion

The pictures are really small. The cow doesn't look that bad in the picture. Since she can be hand milked, the price would be fair. Do you have experience with Jerseys?

If you want her for a family milk cow, talk to your vet about Bang's testing her. Is this her first calf?

At the local sale barn last Tuesday a bottle baby Jersey heifer brought $180.00.

Dixieangus":3bce1jyu said:
i was wanting her to raise two calves at a time to about 250lbs then put two more on
Get that gal healthy and go 3 at a time. Develop that heifer for a nurse cow too. Buy beef calves for grafts. You'll come out. I do it. After the calves are on her for a week or so you can pasture them.

She would work, but do not keep the calves on the cow 24/7. (Don't let them run with her).

Keep her turned out and bring her in twice a day to feed her and so that she can nurse the calves. You will have to feed her if you want her to produce enough milk for the calves. Preferable a high protein (18%) lactation or dairy feed. Our cows that are fresh are fed 20 lbs daily (10 lbs am, 10 lbs pm). She will need good quality hay also. We give our Jersey cows Alfalfa once daily besides having free choice Coastal Jiggs hay.

You can't treat a dairy cow like a beef cow. She will use herself up trying to produce milk for the calves so it is important to treat her right.

It may not seem cheap keeping the cow properly, but it will pay off in the calves condition.

So could i put two calves on her now for about months and then take them off put one calf on her and put her with a neighbors bull at his place for two months then when i get her back put wean the calf and put another one or two on her.......Now when she had two calves on her i would be able to feed her every afternoon high protein feed and 2 to 3 mornings a week....Would this be ok?????? but when she had only one calf she would be on grass and a little feed every day or every other day......Your input is very appreciated

Dixieangus":2n015okq said:
Jersey cow with jersey holstein cross HEIFER calf the man say the person he bougt her from didnt feed her well but she is producing about 1 and a half gallon of milk a day.. they are milking her a little twice a day.......he wants 850 for them.....is this a good price

Good luck.

I hope you can trust the seller's story - as we know, people selling cattle are always honest, right? Do you know if there was a previous owner? If so, sounds like a cow with problems that's getting passed around.

How long ago did this guy buy her and what's he been feeding her to regain condition? If she's not producing alot he should be able to fix the condition problem. I bought a Jersey from a dairy that was below their standards at 5 gallons a day and they complained she was getting fat.

Why is this guy selling her so soon after buying her?

Have you showed up at milking time to watch how she does and how much milk she gives?

I guess with a heifer calf you can't get hurt too bad, but these are some questions I'd be interested in.

Dixieangus":2iqeraxp said:
the guy said that they are feeding her soy hulls and corn so they shouldnt be expecting any more than one and a half gallon

Is that the entire diet? Lacking protein if so. As Chippie said, a good dairy cow is genetically programmed to milk whether she's fed or not. She can milk herself to nothing if not fed properly. Milk is a big drain on a cow.

This guy is blaming the prior owner for her condition, but doesn't sound like he's fixing it, unless I'm missing something.

If her condition is just a feeding problem, you can fix it. But she needs protein, energy, the right minerals to prevent milk fever, etc, etc.