Jenny separating calf from cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MLMueller

Reaction score
We had a 7 yr old Jack last year that was perfect with our cows and calves, but suddenly and inexplicably started chasing and stomping calves and chasing cows. Needless to say we got him outta there! This spring we got two Jennies, two years old, both prior mom. Just had our first batch of calves and darn if those a**es didn't try to separate the calves from the cows and harrass them! They're in a separate pasture now, clearly.

My question is any way to rehab or train these girls or is this just their personality? I know donkeys are very smart....and stubborn.

Thanks in advance! :deadhorse:

You did right by separating them. I doubt they would change. I would keep them separated or send them down the road. Not worth taking a chance losing a calf. They work for some folks, But ive never had any luck with donkeys and cattle.

I have always heard the only way a donkey will not do what you are describing is if he (gelded) or she was raised with cattle and the jenny is never bred. We had an excellent jack we used to halter break cattle, but after a few years he got bored and started putting my ton+ bulls over/through fences. I think a trip down the road is the best bet if you can't keep them from the cattle from now on.

Have a friend who has a Jenny, if she has a baby she is good. If she doesn't have her own she tries to steal calves from their mommas.

i've had a few donkeys and some even raised some babies. I've never had that problem before.

The only thing mine did was if a coyote or danger was around they were take their baby and run away and protect the baby, leaving the cows for themselves. haha.. not much of a guard animal.

I got rid of them all as they eat more hay then a cow and are worthless. almost all my young cattle will run a dog/coyote out of the area.

Brute 23":54icf7dm said:
I have never understood the donkey deal. The day I have to buy a donkey to protect a calf is the day I'll sell every.. single.. one.. of those cows.

I have a cow that's a little wild and hard to get along with.
I was going to get rid of her at some point, but my neighbor the guy I bought this place from turns his labs out in the evening.
They run and play but don't bother anything, but I had a few new calves and they got too close and the wild cow chased them back through the fence and she didn't even have a calf at the time.

Cross-7":1akfr0c8 said:
Brute 23":1akfr0c8 said:
I have never understood the donkey deal. The day I have to buy a donkey to protect a calf is the day I'll sell every.. single.. one.. of those cows.

I have a cow that's a little wild and hard to get along with.
I was going to get rid of her at some point, but my neighbor the guy I bought this place from turns his labs out in the evening.
They run and play but don't bother anything, but I had a few new calves and they got too close and the wild cow chased them back through the fence and she didn't even have a calf at the time.
guy i bought my place off of had longhorns.. really wild crazy things. kept everything away.

i move in with all my black angus.. the coyotes came and slaughtered everything.. it took those cows about 2 months to learn to be really protective. I lost around 15 calves.

a couple would chase the cows away and then another would run in and kill the calf. with mom trying to run them all down.. no chance.

I had to stay outside all the time with a gun to keep them back until I got my guard dogs.

UP here in Wolf country I wouldn't be without my donkeys. I've witnessed them run down and just about stomp a coyote to death before it was able to hobble away. Neighbor walks her dog down the road everyday and those donkeys will stop whatever they are doing and stand at the fence and watch that dog until its out of sight.

chevytaHOE5674":4dydi5e8 said:
UP here in Wolf country I wouldn't be without my donkeys. I've witnessed them run down and just about stomp a coyote to death before it was able to hobble away. Neighbor walks her dog down the road everyday and those donkeys will stop whatever they are doing and stand at the fence and watch that dog until its out of sight.
Here, we feed the donkeys to the wolves so they don't have to go after the cows and the calves. Tho I'm not worried about the coyotes go after the cattle and our angus cows are fiercely protective of their calves.

a female donkey or a female mule will try to take away a calf, as for a jack, I would not put a jack with my cows with out cutting him. llamas I have some,5, they are easy going and will chase a coyote, sometimes. They are great weed eaters and cause very little problems, just have to watch the males because they can get very mean but mine is not.

Muddy":ezu6qzi6 said:
Here, we feed the donkeys to the wolves so they don't have to go after the cows and the calves. Tho I'm not worried about the coyotes go after the cattle and our angus cows are fiercely protective of their calves.

Knock on wood I ain't seen a wolf take down a donkey yet. Hopefully I never do.