Jelly Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Spent the day with my daughter and we decided to make some jelly since the blackberries are coming in.

"The Bug" knows we are fixing to delve into something sweet. ;-)
IMG_2518.jpg

In another day or two they'd been hanging like grapes.
IMG_2517.jpg

They were nice and plump and perfect for the jelly.
IMG_2519.jpg

About an hour later we had nearly five gallons.
IMG_2520.jpg

Three hours later we had some jelly put up but we ran out of pectin so we had to stop. But it was a fun day and "The Bug" and I have a great deal of the Christmas pressure off of us cause this will be one of the things we give folks this Christmas. Of course once "The Bug" dresses the jars up with a little frill and lace they won't look so plain.
IMG_2527.jpg

Go bug go!

Me and the grandbaby are going to be doing some of this over the weekend too. Should have figs ready in a couple or 3 weeks and we'll do it again.

Speaking of figs, my grandmother used to make some of the best fig preserves. I got her recipe somewhere and planted some figs a few years ago. They are about four foot tall but they will not bear fruit. I planted them in a semi-shaded spot. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Too shady?

I'd guess too much shade. I've got one with the same problem. I also have one in full sun that is spectacular. I'll post a pic in a week or two when the figs start ripening.

Fig likes warmth, plant them on the west side of a barn and have the drip from the barn water them. Standing water is not good, they do need good drainage.

Nice looking cantalope, looks a lot like a variety I grow called Ambrosia Hybrid. One of the sweetest, best tasting melons I have found.

Thanks. I'll try to move them this winter. I don't remember the name of the cantelope but they are good. We have plenty of fresh stuff coming in now and with this hot weather nothing is better for supper than a cool cantelope or a watermellon.

Joe, The Black Berries look great! You guys got a lot of jelly there. YOU MEAN You got cantaloupe already? Ours will be ripe by Labor Day. :roll:

Those are some pretty berrys. I used to grow the Brazos variety. They were tart but my Mom made real good jelly from them. Your fig tree may be getting too much shade and poor drainage like others said. Also, you need to prune them back in the winter as they will bear on the new growth.

Fred":21b863ab said:
Those are some pretty berrys. I used to grow the Brazos variety. They were tart but my Mom made real good jelly from them. Your fig tree may be getting too much shade and poor drainage like others said. Also, you need to prune them back in the winter as they will bear on the new growth.

Disagree with the pruning except for dead and frost damaged limbs. Correct the figs are on new growth but the new growth comes from old otherwise they will always trying to grow instead of producing figs. I've see fig trees around here you have to use a 10' stepladder to reach the tops. Rootstock should be taken and transplanted when trees are dormant.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

Fruits: The common fig bears a first crop, called the breba crop, in the spring on last season's growth. The second crop is borne in the fall on the new growth and is known as the main crop. In cold climates the breba crop is often destroyed by spring frosts. The matured "fruit" has a tough peel (pure green, green suffused with brown, brown or purple), often cracking upon ripeness, and exposing the pulp beneath. The interior is a white inner rind containing a seed mass bound with jelly-like flesh. The edible seeds are numerous and generally hollow, unless pollinated. Pollinated seeds provide the characteristic nutty taste of dried figs.