Jedda

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
My young Kelpie bitch Jedda is only 4 mths old but is very keen. I really should not be exposing her to the mature cows with calves but she just wants to be involved. I give her a litlle job to do once and it becomes hers to do all the time. She is very perceptive, if we have cattle coming through a gate she is there to go around behind the stragglers and bring them through. She just loves to help and comes up for grattitude when she completes a job.

Here is a video of her walking a group of yearling heifers down to the back gate from the yards. We had them in for heat detection 3 weeks after the initial AI as you can see a couple with red patches.

I picked up another new Kelpie pup this week, whereas Jedda was a freebie this new pup has been on order for a while from a breeder. Her name is Tilly, she is 8 wks of age and has joined in with our routine very well following us everywhere. I am hoping that they team up together and complement each other. I am going to shield her from cattle work for a bit and as soon as we get a bit of rain I'll get some sheep for her to start on.

P1020146.JPG

Jedda looks like she's going to be a ripper, she really understands what she's meant to be doing. Hopefully Tilly becomes a team member in time too. You could start her off on the chooks.

That Jedda is that keen at such a young age is an understatement! You're gonna have to be on your toes to protect the little scamp! Tilly is cute as a bug's ear!
Have to respectfully disagree with Red about suggesting you start her on chooks. All the fan fare about "tinning" chooks aside, ( :LOL:) IMO youngsters should never be exposed to the bloody things at a tender age if ever. (n)

Nice pup. I always wanted a Kelpie. But then I found Blue Lacys and I think they are more suited to my operation. But I still want a Kelpie. They are smart, gritty dogs for sure.