Jd4020 clutch replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Anyone put a clutch in a 4020. I've done lots of clutch replacements. More concerned about splitting the tractor. It doesn't look to bad. But is there any hidden jackpots. ? :
I'm going to get a price from a guy that will come out and do it. Weigh the cost against me doing it. I've got about 37 projects going on at one time. But this could weight a little bit for a rainy stretch.

callmefence":3iqm7cky said:
Anyone put a clutch in a 4020. I've done lots of clutch replacements. More concerned about splitting the tractor. It doesn't look to bad. But is there any hidden jackpots. ? :
I'm going to get a price from a guy that will come out and do it. Weigh the cost against me doing it. I've got about 37 projects going on at one time. But this could weight a little bit for a rainy stretch.

splitting the tractor is fairly straight forward getting it back together was a ..... because I didn't have enough help or the right stuff to make it easier. be prepared for it to be a weekend project probably also color code the bolts like a dab of white on the head them dab of white on the holes they go for that section then another piece dab of orange and dab orange on the holes etc just incase a pressing issue comes up and you have to come back to it so you know where everything goes unless your memory is a lot better than mine.. My advise is be prepared to curse it and want to set it on fire a few times when its all said and done you will be happy and probably vow to never do it again.

True Grit Farms":g3j63ri3 said:
I need a clutch in my 3020 and it sounds like a big job getting everything adjusted properly. Hopefully you'll get a few tips.

adjusting can be a female dog

We had a 3020 that the clutch went out on and my employer took it in to be fixed and it was really expensive they said it was put back together wrong. So my employer was wishing he had taken it in to be fixed the first time instead of having a employee do it and saved some money (it did run for several years before it went out though)

Moral of the story it might be cheaper to go the more expensive route

ez14.":ujevtomc said:
We had a 3020 that the clutch went out on and my employer took it in to be fixed and it was really expensive they said it was put back together wrong. So my employer was wishing he had taken it in to be fixed the first time instead of having a employee do it and saved some money (it did run for several years before it went out though)

CMF before fencing was a auto mechanic if I remember correctly he should be able to do it just fine and I did it and if I can do it being a shade tree I know he can

I remember helping Dad with this operation many years ago. We didn't have a shop so it was done outside. Blocked the back half up good, had the front wheels on good planking and a contraption that allowed us to roll the front half away when everything was disconnected. Seems like it didn't take very long, but I was just the helper so maybe it was more of a PIA than I remember.

Dont know about your neck of the woods but here Deere will rent splitting stands. I would definatly give em a call they are worth it.

callmefence":12pye671 said:
j_20":12pye671 said:
Dont know about your neck of the woods but here Deere will rent splitting stands. I would definatly give em a call they are worth it.

Thought about building a cradle out of pipe to hold each half. I check with JD thanks.

That was the biggest problem I had was the stands blocks of 6x6's just don't cut it :lol2:

skyhightree1":23wr4mly said:
ez14.":23wr4mly said:

CMF before fencing was a auto mechanic if I remember correctly he should be able to do it just fine and I did it and if I can do it being a shade tree I know he can
well something to think about anyways

Latest posts