JD 5055e (v) 5065e

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1967q537 said:
I'm sure not impressed with the longevity of the 2.9 three cylinder turbo engine. I have a 5400 JD with that exact engine and get about 2500 hours between rebuilds. The main problem with the tractor is 540 pto is achieved at 2400 rpm. So every time you mow or grind feed you have to run it wide open. I have a 1020 with the same engine but no turbo that has 6k hours and still has no real blow by. We work our equipment really hard but service it regularly.
That is the biggest problem with my JD5210 2.9 engine is the PTO is so slow, but it does give a little more power at the pto because of this. I bought a turbo and had the parts ordered as I was going to make a turbo tractor out of my JD5210. I got to digging a little deeper and found that the rod pins are bigger on the turbo tractors with the same engine 2.9 and resold the turbo and sent the parts back.

True Grit Farms":3h4f78lp said:
Our main problem is we put 12 - 1500 hours on the tractors per year.

That is a lot of hours for a livestock operation, but your advantage is being able to spread overhead.
I have a fleet of vintage tractors that average about 50 hours each per year. Could sell one or two, but I told my wife they are appreciating and she will be rich some day. :nod:
I put about 400 hours per year on my 5075. It is handy - - but planning to upsize for more weight and torque. Would you settle for a 5083/5085 size with 5x6 bales or go bigger?

Stocker Steve":lt3faj91 said:
True Grit Farms":lt3faj91 said:
Our main problem is we put 12 - 1500 hours on the tractors per year.

That is a lot of hours for a livestock operation, but your advantage is being able to spread overhead.
I have a fleet of vintage tractors that average about 50 hours each per year. Could sell one or two, but I told my wife they are appreciating and she will be rich some day. :nod:
I put about 400 hours per year on my 5075. It is handy - - but planning to upsize for more weight and torque. Would you settle for a 5083/5085 size with 5x6 bales or go bigger?

Bigger would be better with that size bale. My 5400 gets light in the rear with heavy 4x6 rolls, and nothing on the 3pt, even with loaded tires. But I don't have wheel weights so with them and loaded tires you might be alright. Steve those 12 - 1500 hours is spread out between 3 tractors now, and our new Kubota tractor accounted for 800 hours of the 1500 last year.