Japanese Yew

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
WARNING! I dont know if any of you have Japanese yew as ornamental bushes in your yards, but if you do, keep your cattle away from them. A few days ago, a city policeman who bought 50 acres that joins me, was cleaning his yard in town and an elderly neighbor lady asked him to trim her two bushes and put the trimmings with his trash. He happily obliged and took the pickup load of stuff to a brushpile on the 50 acres where he has 12 cows he had bought. It is too dry to burn, so he just unloaded and left at almost dark. The next day he went back and he had 5 dead cows and 1 dying. The vet said that the japanese yew will kill them everytime and there is no antidote. I had a friend tell me he had this problem several years ago, but this is a reminder. Be aware that it is very poison to cattle. Vicki brought this up in a post some time ago, but I just bring it up again to remind people

taxcus_female_cone01_web400.jpg

TCFC

does anyone know about frasier firs? i want to put our christmas tree in a washout and am wondering if its toxic to cattle.

Another common landscape shrub that is extremely poisonous is th oleander. i have that and creeping plum yew in my yard. azaleas too. Although the cows have munched on azaleas for years but they are supposedly poisonous.

Beefy":3gwzd4ue said:
Although the cows have munched on azaleas for years but they are supposedly poisonous.

The cows are poisonous? ;-) :)

Beefy":1amrwzv2 said:
does anyone know about frasier firs? i want to put our christmas tree in a washout and am wondering if its toxic to cattle.

Another common landscape shrub that is extremely poisonous is th oleander. i have that and creeping plum yew in my yard. azaleas too. Although the cows have munched on azaleas for years but they are supposedly poisonous.

Beefy with the wild plums and azaleas cows and horses have run in pastures/lots where these were available for years with no harm done. But under certain conditions, lack of forage, concentration of animals, weather, etc. there have been animals die from these.
Another plant folks in the south might watch for is Vitex a popular landscape shrub/tree. Not sure it rates up there with yews and oleander for kill'em quick though.
Can't say I've ever heard any caution about the frasier firs.

We have something called Deadly Nightshade in our area. Vine-like plant, green leaves, purple and yellow flowers, red berries...don't know if you folks have it down south, but I know it's another poisionous one. Also very hard to get rid of.

milkmaid":1hompmdr said:
We have something called Deadly Nightshade in our area. Vine-like plant, green leaves, purple and yellow flowers, red berries...don't know if you folks have it down south, but I know it's another poisionous one. Also very hard to get rid of.
Nightshade grows darn near everywhere.Any stock would have to be starving to eat it.Nightshade was used as a favoite poison in midevil times, the berries were dried and crushed up into a toxic cocktail.

Latest posts