Japanese mini trucks: Can Kei trucks git 'er dun?

Help Support CattleToday:

mac

Reaction score
Is anyone using a Japanese mini-truck like the kind shown in the picture below?

mini-truck-creek1.jpg

Picture hijacked from allterrainminitrucks.com

Also known as kei trucks, they are available in two or four-wheel drive, air conditioned, extended cab, dump bed and so forth. Costing around $6,000 used, they have a load capacity of 800-1400 pounds, supposedly get 40-50 mpg, but are speed limited to 25 mph and are not road legal in the U.S. Without the speed controller they can hit 50-60 mph. One site showed a dump-equipped kei unloading a round bale.

My apologies in advance if this subject is already beat to death, but I searched the forum and found nothing. Just wondering if anyone has had success with one of these. Thanks.

Mac

The ranch I'm working for bought like 7 of them. All in 4WD. Tiny little toys, but seem pretty handy for odds and ends on the place. The spray crews use them to carry their chemicals to the field, and so forth. I drove one while no one was looking. My knees were buried in the dash, but other than that I think I'd rather use one of those than an ATV. It had AC and I could be cozy in a lightning storm.

i like the looks of them and kidn of want oen to use but i think i would rather get a bobcat one with the loader on the front called the Toolcat. It comes with ac also.

From what I hear, parts is the problem with them. Supposedly, they uses parts and pieces from a variety of other vehicles, including motorcycles, and it's kind of hard to tell exactly what you need. And then of course, comes the question of where to get the parts you need.

Of course this is strictly hearsay. I have no personal experience with them. They are pretty darn cute, though. Around here, they go by a variety of names--seems every one you see is a different brand.

Yes, I have one. Its a Subaru 4x4. It will run around 50-55 mph just like most of the other models. And starting Nov. 1 they will be street legal in OK. On all streets except turnpikes and interstates.

dun":3bnkwkp8 said:
cfpinz":3bnkwkp8 said:
Why not buy an old half-ton 4wd for $500?

He may not have a wife that's willing to push it like yours is

Imported mini-truck: $10,000
Beat-up half ton: $500
Good wife: Priceless

cfpinz":datms8zd said:
dun":datms8zd said:
cfpinz":datms8zd said:
Why not buy an old half-ton 4wd for $500?

He may not have a wife that's willing to push it like yours is

Imported mini-truck: $10,000
Beat-up half ton: $500
Good wife: Priceless

I don;t know about the first 2, but in your case I'll go along with the third one.

Don't know anything about those machines,but I use the snot out of my 88 dodge dakota short bed 4wd.Raised it 3in and put larger tires on it and it goes like a 4wheeler.

Cal

Once again cf is the voice of reason. Why waste $6K on a TOY??? Same way with that Bobcat thing - why do you need something like that just to stack hay with - put a loader on the tractor!
I would much rather OVERPOWER something than UNDERPOWER it!

Bullbuyer":2ruq4oyo said:
Once again cf is the voice of reason. Why waste $6K on a TOY??? Same way with that Bobcat thing - why do you need something like that just to stack hay with - put a loader on the tractor!
I would much rather OVERPOWER something than UNDERPOWER it!

I was wondering, in that picture of the bobcat toy, is that bale really light or is there a 1000 pound weight in the back of that thing?

Latest posts