Jake's Wire Tightners

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
Anybody else have trouble with the clips bending? I bent at least a dozen or more when putting them on some new 12 1/2 ga barbed wire.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=2e87c174-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

I had some short runs of wire (80 - 100 ft), and thought these would work great to get that last little bit of slack out, but I kept bending the clips (which got pretty frustrating). I have used them to retighten old wire in the past with much success.

While I'm on the subject, if anyone has any ideas on how to get short runs of barbed fence tight, please let me know because I always seem to have a heck of a time. I am stretching 12 1/2 ga barbed wire and the end H-posts are made of pipe (2 3/8" in this case).

I've bent them on ghightensile 12 1/2 gauge, but that was when I was using them on brace posts and moving the top of the post 6 inches. You can't get wire as tight with them as you can with the wheel/reel type of tighteners, but that isn;t what they're decisnged for. I use them alot on all types of wire and as long as I don;t try to stretch it to a high C I've never had a problem.

dun

4-wheeler for short runs & tractor with hay spear on loader for long runs. i use short hunks of barbed wire for clips on steel posts & also tighten old wire that way

ACF172.jpg

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

works like a champ for short runs or fixing broken strings

i agree totally brokenmouth...

i have one and it has saved me a lot of time in stretching wire and patching fences. i wouldnt be without one now.

jt

Just ran 2400' of 12 1/2 gauge sheffield barb wire six wires high and not one problem with broken clips (also sheffield). You can imagine how many clips we used! I use a claw hammer on a close barb and pull around the metal post and wrap. Gets the wire plenty tight on short runs.

Clicked the link- do I need the one with the holding ratchet (??) or not? Well, actually it's for my husband :p

Susie

I have never used one with a holding rachet---i use them just as pictured. they run from 25.95 to 27.95 at farm stores here

Yes, I have bent a few of Jake' s tighteners. Like Dun says, it usually occrus when I try to overtighten wire. One other trick is to be very careful that the wire goes directly into that little curve(notch) on the "arms" as you are turning the tightener. If the wire goes out of that notch it will bend the tightener for sure.

The first time I used them, I bent a whole bunch and quit using them for a long while. Then I read a post here by Dun, and he liked them - so I decided if Dun could master it, I could (no offence Dun) and I love them. Now, they are my little buddies. Yeah, I have stretchers and claw hammers and staples, but these things save me time to do more important things.

Billy

MrBilly":61nlb20j said:
so I decided if Dun could master it, I could (no offence Dun)

We all have a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a horrible example for others.

dun

Thanks for all the input.

MrBilly":1ppsr5h3 said:
Yes, I have bent a few of Jake' s tighteners. Like Dun says, it usually occrus when I try to overtighten wire. One other trick is to be very careful that the wire goes directly into that little curve(notch) on the "arms" .......
Billy

I know exactly what you mean MrBilly. I've bent several like that, and even the flat little plate on the handle bent up some, to the point I could hardly get it off the clip!

I am using a stretcher like the one above. Guess I just need to get better at tying off on those metal posts. Wood posts are no problem - just stretch it with a claw hammer, and staple with another hammer while holding the tension.

TXBobcat":2qgecvkb said:
Wood posts are no problem - just stretch it with a claw hammer, and staple with another hammer while holding the tension.

That's what I oriingally went to the Jakes tighteners for. Couldn't pull it tight enough and hold the one hammer with my butt and staple it tight with the other hammer. Now I just pull it as tight as I can as above and throw a Jakes on it. I've even used it on field fence, just alternate the position of the tighteneer on each strand.

dun

We use the type brokenmouth refers to. We used to use a come-along type contraption my father refers to as a "coffin hoist". He inherited two or three of them while working for the electric coop. It's basically a big aluminum ratchet with steel gears that bind a chain hooked to a wire gripper. I quit using it when I switched to gaucho. There's too great a chance of popping the wire and getting eaten up by high velocity barbs.

12 1/2 gauge is hard to tighten on short runs. Used what I believe was high quality CFI 12 1/2 gauge wire on a small run of about 250 feet and could never get them to stay tight.
Believe it or not 15 1/2 gauge Guacho is better for short runs. It is higher tensile and will stay tight. Tried it at the suggestion of another rancher. Worked like a charm. Never would have thought Guacho would be the solution. Always been told to stay away from that "cheap" stuff. Still is tight as a drum. Still skeptical if it will hold if a cow decides it needs to be on the other side of the fence. No problems yet.

Thanks for the info.
Looked it up at TSC and the 15 1/2 ga Gaucho is about $10 roll cheaper. It claims no stretching is needed. I assume for a run of 80' or so you could just tie off one end, stretch with pliers and tie off other end - no stretcher/strainer needed.

Was this true from your experience?

Gaucho is cheaper but there is a reason for it. It isnt very hardy and when it breaks it goes everywhere. It is very sharp but curls very easy and is very hard to work with. when cows get pushed against it or push through it to get grass on the other side, it stretches and will stay stretched. Dont use it anyplace that there will be contact with cattle or people climbing over it. Where I have used it, there has to be a new fence built real soon. There will never be another roll of gaucho come on this place. Spend the extra money and get american made 12 1/2 gauge, not foreign made 12 1/2 gauge. You will be happier in the long run

It probably comes down to preference more than anything else but I hate the stuff. It's sharp, no doubt about that. You will wear out a pair of gloves in a couple of hours of messing with it. It will cut you to pieces if it gets loose and trying to work with it or tie it off is like trying to put a cat in a bucket. The label says don't stretch it because it won't stretch – it will break. That's my main gripe about it. It will just snap if a tree limb falls on it. OK, that was my opinion and nothing more. And I feel much better, thank you. :D

Latest posts