Ivomec v. Dectomax?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Im wondering what do yall prefer? Im going to have to treat for worms and stuff soon and wonder what is the difference? I want to buy the pour on brand and there both the same price but i never have used dectomax and ivomec is bout what all the stores carry. Dectomax is prefered for vac. programs like select vac but i never used it.

So what is the difference?.. Nothing?

Is there anything differnet bout dectomax im not getting?

Thanks Always,

SFF

I've never used Dectomax because I could always buy Ivomec at a lower price.Although it is usually higher here,I like to use Cydectin because of not killing dung beetles and it gets great lice control for 6 mo.

My vet uses dectomax so our calves get that in the spring.

I also like cydectin.

Ivomec has been good but it has been around a lot of years now and there is most likely a lot of resistance beginning to build to it.

I still use it but I use it in rotation with Dectomax and Cydectin.

pdfangus":2j90a36j said:
My vet uses dectomax so our calves get that in the spring.

I also like cydectin.

Ivomec has been good but it has been around a lot of years now and there is most likely a lot of resistance beginning to build to it.

I still use it but I use it in rotation with Dectomax and Cydectin.

Unless, my memory has let me down, both have a 1% ivermectin as active ingredient.

FWIW I prefer the injectable version and use Ivomec Plus because it also has clorsulon in it that controls both types of liver flukes as well as conical flukes effectively.

We deworm in the spring and fall. In the spring I alternate between Eprinex, Dectomax or Cydectin. In the fall I use a generic ivermectin most of the time, sometimes a namebrand. I won't use a wormer for two consecutive years.

My vet swears Cydectin is the best. I have always just wormed in the spring, but am changing this year. Am going to use an injectible wormer, more than likely Ivomec, this fall.

I've priced all three 1L on Valleyvet and Jeffers for around $90. So the price really dont matter. For the pour on how many m.l. do yall use per 1200Ib cow we have always used 50ml per cow. Is that right?

Ivomec, dectomax, and cydectin are not all the same active ingredient; however, they all belong to the same drug class. There may or may not be cross-resistance. I have used all of the above for fall (post-freeze) deworming to help with bots and lice. If you want to know if you are getting results talk to your vet about collecting manure samples for a fecal egg count after deworming.

bandit80":4dyck2ju said:
My vet swears Cydectin is the best. I have always just wormed in the spring, but am changing this year. Am going to use an injectible wormer, more than likely Ivomec, this fall.

I agree with your vet about the Cydectin. I use it ini the spring but do use Ivomec injectable in the fall. Don't have liver flukes but feel Curatrem is best for liver flukes. The concentration of clorsulon in Ivomec Plus is not high enough to really do a good job.

mtncows":3m4odkcs said:
I've never used Dectomax because I could always buy Ivomec at a lower price.Although it is usually higher here,I like to use Cydectin because of not killing dung beetles and it gets great lice control for 6 mo.

I don't know for sure if this is correct cause you hear so many claims but I was at a seminar a month or so ago and the speaker said that there is no truth to the dung beetle claim. According to him, the carrier is what was lethal to the dung beetle and said if you dropped a beetle in the pure solution it would die in Ivomec but not in Cydectin but neither had any more ill affects on the dung beetles once it passed through the cow. He said the company got in a lot of trouble for making this claim and can no longer make this claim in their advertisements. He said exactly what redcowsrule33 said.

redcowsrule33":3m4odkcs said:
Ivomec, dectomax, and cydectin are not all the same active ingredient; however, they all belong to the same drug class.

Can't say I've seen them making this claim of late so maybe he was right. I don't know. If he was correct, I doubt I'll be buying any more of their product.

Does anyone else think resistance is caused in part by pour-on not being used correctly(ie too little,wet hide ,wrong place)and not rotatting form year to year.Also, the thought ( VaTech ) is to deworm mid summer to kill brown stomach worm at the peak

mtncows":2vut1f5w said:
Does anyone else think resistance is caused in part by pour-on not being used correctly(ie too little,wet hide ,wrong place)and not rotatting form year to year.Also, the thought ( VaTech ) is to deworm mid summer to kill brown stomach worm at the peak

For various reasons including laziness, I started worming in July based on this principle and it seems to be working fine.

Iv'e heard several claims that used incorrectly the wormer will be ineffective, that being said, is it really resistance or misuse? We pour in spring, inject in fall because the injection supposedly kills grubs. We have used Dectomax in spring due to it's water resistance, and Ivomec plus injectable in fall . Considering Eprinex for this spring though. I guess switching up is good. We also thought about just a lice pour on in spring, and supplement with a fly control feed, some people like this better.

RFD said on a TV a while back if you had a tolerance to ivermec , you ha it to both pour on and injectable ,since it was the same active ingredient , but research at a universerity showed double worming with a drench and a injectable at the same time was showing to be a good way to give a good long term control in the blood stream , as well help break the resistence by killing the worms with the drench immediatly , more research was being done ,

Latest posts