Ivermectin Injectable vs Pour-on for Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

I use injectible cydectin, or dectomax when i give shots, but we have about quit giving shots and went to giving synanthic orally. My vet says it is the very best and the way it should be done but most people don't like the extra work.

We have used injectable, oral, and pour on. I feel that injectable and oral work the best for internal parasites. Pour on works great for lice and flies. I would just suggest that when you consider long term health in your cattle that you switch brands and modes of action every so often as to not build up resistance.

Pour on wormers are kind of like feeding supplement tubs, it's convenient. While the tubs do their job albiet expensively, pour on wormers are "better then nothing" but that's about all.

dun":2va60r8l said:
Pour on wormers are kind of like feeding supplement tubs, it's convenient. While the tubs do their job albiet expensively, pour on wormers are "better then nothing" but that's about all.
I agree 100%.

iowafarmer":12emwtb7 said:
We have used injectable, oral, and pour on. I feel that injectable and oral work the best for internal parasites. Pour on works great for lice and flies. I would just suggest that when you consider long term health in your cattle that you switch brands and modes of action every so often as to not build up resistance.

A couple vets I have talked to lately say to use the same product at the required dose until it becomes ineffective before switching. Thats not what I was taught, but they claim new studies suggest that rotating can lead to faster resistance.

Latest posts