Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand
Re: Due date
PostTue May 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Ok, you all were right again as usual. About 2:30pm this evening she gave birth to about a 55-60lb calf. I left work early when my daughter call me and said it was on the way. Only problem was it rain 3 inches last night, more today and cats and dogs this evening about 2:00pm until 5pm and tornado warnings out. During the rain I moved the calf to the barn and finally got mama with her, all soaking wet. Rain stopped momentarily around 5:30pm. I tried to help the baby to suck and he/she did a little but very little. Maybe for one minute. Mama cow's bag is so full that when she walks it leaks out both sides. I left them together in a yard by them selves . I hope the calf gets to suck more. Haven't seen.it do so yet. Maybe it did before I got to them. I pray all will be fine. It now 6:30pm and rain is coming down hard. Tornado warnings all evening until 11:00pm tonight. What can I do to help the calf make it better?

if you can milk her and give it to the calf to make sure it's got a belly full, it'll probably be set to figure it out on it's own as hunger kicks in later!

I am always worried about them nursing. There are some that I keep pushing back to the udder and they will not nurse in front of me for several days. But obviously, they are nursing at other times, because they are growing. The mom sometimes does not like to make her calf nurse if you are around too.

Keep an eye on that bag, if it don't get sucked down on at least one quarter pretty soon, I would intervene. I had one born under adverse conditions one time that couldn't find the tit, so I bottled her. She sucked it down and went right to momma and started in on her, they're sometimes a little weak and need a small push.

Latest posts