It's hard to believe

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
I just found out we rank number 2 in the most tornado prone areas in the states.

It's got to be some kinda joke or I read it wrong.
I bet the study was government funded. Of course I only know what happens in my little world.

Bartow County Tornadoes
MAR 27, 1994 005 1215 2 14 F4 015
MAR 27, 1994 011 1401 1 6 F3 015
MAR 27, 1994 011 1423 0 0 F3 015
MAR 27, 1994 014 1435 0 0 F2 015
JUN 27, 1994 033 0000 0 2 F1 015
JUN 29, 1994 047 0730 0 0 F0 015

I quess they are hanging there hat on 1994.

I saw and heard one on March 27 1994. I had previously thought thier were only 3 that day. As we had all three farms hit. What are the chances of that?

One thing that I found quite interesting: Whenever someone mentions Kansas around here the first thing that pops to mind or comes out of someone's mouth is tornadoes. Yet when we were in KS this past summer not a soul that we had talked to had ever seen a tornado but a few had seen damage caused by them. We have had several tornadoes over the years in this area, but they are rare to say the least. I wonder if The Wizard of Oz has skewed the minds of us all?

cfpinz

At last count they were up to 15 confirmed torandos in an area from 40 miles south to 20 miles east and about 5 miles north. Kust cause you haven;t been hit by one doesn;t mean they haven;t happened. I think the folks in KS are just more immuned to them and don;t think about them till the sirens go off. The year before we moved here one hit Lebanon, it was the first one that anyone could ever remember actually hitting in town.

dun":l4jnjn8q said:
At last count they were up to 15 confirmed torandos in an area from 40 miles south to 20 miles east and about 5 miles north. Kust cause you haven;t been hit by one doesn;t mean they haven;t happened. I think the folks in KS are just more immuned to them and don;t think about them till the sirens go off. The year before we moved here one hit Lebanon, it was the first one that anyone could ever remember actually hitting in town.

I know that's what the data says here. I believe the data. I just thought things were worse out west.

Ain't nothing that will make you stand in awe like a tornado. In 1994 my wife came running out of the house as I was trying to understand what was happening. She quickly made me understand that I needed to go inside with a few choice words.

After it left we checked the fences and went North to the other farms. We found a neighbor stand in his house. The roof had been blown off and the walls were standing outa kilter. He was OK but said he had just got a brand new pair of blue jeans and the were sitting right there. He was in shock. It is kinda strange standing in a house with furniture and most regular stuff but without a roof.

dun":1sp8ah8i said:
I think the folks in KS are just more immuned to them and don;t think about them till the sirens go off.

That's the impression I got. When we asked about tornadoes none of them got very excited. Kinda ho-hum.

cfpinz

Get a weak one every once in awhile.
Went past our friends place about 2 years ago. Called to warn them of the warning going off on the pagers. She was in the basement with the kids. weather service called her right after I got off the phone with her. They went out and found their creep feeder had been moved about 150' to the west. The wind was blowing from the south west. Couldn't be confirmed, but was a possiblity.
Back in '01 husband was up north when a bad storm blew up. Had a "finger" coming out of that storm. He was about to hide in a dry sistern when it passed over him.
I could name a bunch of times we have had tornados seen. We are not known for having tornados either.

I don;t recall the year but the only recorded tornado in the Indian Wells Valley hit us. Ripped off the roof and dumped the roof in the field I had just moved the cows out of that morning. Paper came out and took a picture, the caption of which was "Standing in the rubble with faithful Bea (Springer Spaniel)". Lost the picture one of the times we moved, wish I still ahd it.