It's been so hot and dry that ......

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
.. the term "side walk" cafe takes on a new meaning

.. the dirt daubers have to use their own spit to make mud

.. the cows are giving powdered milk

.. the grasshoppers are starting to smoke 'cause they don't have enough spit to make chewin t'bakky

.. the rice farmers are now raising instant rice

.. when we cut open a watermelon the other day all we got out were seeds

.. the snakes are sellin' belts and boots from their relatives when they die

OK, you got the point. Five consecutive days at over a hundred. Today it hit 104 and no rain in sight. Havin' to haul water to my cows down the road and have started feeding and this is only June.

Try close to 21 days here with over 100 deg. Have had around 10 or so in 104 to 110 deg range. Add to this winds in 25 to 45 mph most days. Other nite was 95 deg at 10 pm. On the bright side our humidity has ranged from 0% to 20%.

Running Arrow Bill":27e3k4du said:
Try close to 21 days here with over 100 deg. Have had around 10 or so in 104 to 110 deg range. Add to this winds in 25 to 45 mph most days. Other nite was 95 deg at 10 pm. On the bright side our humidity has ranged from 0% to 20%.

Bill, I feel sorry for you folks out there. Wished there was something I could do.

They tell me this is the worst drought since the early 1900's but,believe it or not, I still have a little grass in the pasture. Cattle are still doing pretty well. In 2009 I had NO grass at all. The pastures didn't even have any weeds growing. Sold off most of the herd because I could afford to keep feeding them. No one had hay and I was having it hauled in from Te., Mo., and Ar. at $85 to $95 a bale.

We have a slight chance for rain this week - we'll see.

Update: 4:00 pm June 19. Now 114 deg. F. 6% RH here. Wind 30-45 mph. Not much better tomorrow either.

Even our cacti are dying, weeds dead. Been watering alleys & paddocks 8 to 12 hrs a day...have some green grass in those. Figure electricity for our well pump is cheaper than 2 or 3 extra round bales of hay...

Bad news...only 2 days till SUMMER officially here! My guess is unless we get weather change and/or some rain July and August may hit 115 to 120 deg here. To date, 8-2/3 months without rain (only one 0.2" and one 0.4" shower this year).

:(

I not sure which of the weather Ninas is in charge, but I think all your rain got sent up here...
Makes a guy think about variable stocking rates.

All the best.

Some towns have so little water that they are selling "Water Crystals" to outsiders...

Instructions:

"Just add water and shake well"

----------------

All of our rain evaporates before it hits the ground.

---------------

Dust mites are dying from thurst.

-----------------

Cats are jumping into the wading pools.

------------------

wish I could send you some of our rain, if only we could trade I would have some of your sunshine any day of the week. Hope you all get some rain real soon. It's just started to drizzle if it rains through the night and is dry through out the day I will be pleased.

Latest posts