It's Bad

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been a very strange weather year. While you people in Texas have been burning up with a drought, up here in the northwest we are having rain day after day. I saw a couple USA maps that showed states how they ranked for rainfall and temperature for the months of March through May. Texas ranked #1 for the driest and hottest March-May on record. Washington ranked #1 for the wettest March-May on record and #3 for coldest. The weather people said it was very unusual to have that big of a contrast.

I have pastures with up to 8 inches of standing water in them. These are typically wet fields (they have duck blinds built in them which should be clue how wet they get) but they always dry up by mid June. Probably half the hay in the country hasn't been cut yet and it is darn near August. And probably a third of the stuff that has been cut ended rotting in the field.

Strange year...... I wish I could send some of this rain down your way.

IT's A FREAKY YEAR. We have had rain in june and july and that is unusually, grass is green and growing, in fact 1.3 inches in rain gage sunday, just werid...I wonder what Aug. will bring...We do not get rain here in july and aug. unless a storm blows in off the gulf, but it is different these years...Rain just pops up from no where...

Black Coos":3w4ued1r said:
IT's A FREAKY YEAR. We have had rain in june and july and that is unusually, grass is green and growing, in fact 1.3 inches in rain gage sunday, just werid...I wonder what Aug. will bring...We do not get rain here in july and aug. unless a storm blows in off the gulf, but it is different these years...Rain just pops up from no where...

Ah ha you are the one that has stole my weather. It is supposed to rain here every other day be a 100 degrees with 90% humidity. You are supposed to plan your work around showers. I'm so confused.

Caustic Burno":3aa6g6yc said:
1982vett":3aa6g6yc said:
Sounds like those not in a drought or having monsoon rains should have an excelent year.

What is this rain you speak of, what does it look like? What does it do?
Caustic....I'm not sure what it is anymore....but I seem to remember a time when it was plentyful and SOME CITY FOLK kept grumbling about it...(kinda remember some cattle people cussing something called mud? too) Hear tell it's supposed to help grow green grass....whatever that is....

It's raining here for the second time today, we are sorry we can't share with you.

A relatively good year, a very good year, I want to reserve the farmer's basic right to complain about the weather, but we had above average rain through the spring. Crops were planted late but stand a good chance to make very good yields. Hay is my only crop, and the grass is growing. It is turning toward the dry side, (the most recent 30% chance only produced a sprinkle) but moisture reserves are high. Frost will be a concern soon, because of the late planting.
This train can and will run off the track soon, but right now the lord is listening and pasture is abundant.

Latest posts