It's Bad

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
when you pull into the pasture to cube cattle and you know they're coming to you because you can see the cloud of dust a mile away.

Cal

Seems like cattle around here are just standing in one spot waiting for the next hand out.
The sad part is that if we ever do get rain there is nothing left to grow. Any benefit will be from what ever comes up from the seed bank.

Calman":w8abdrys said:
when you pull into the pasture to cube cattle and you know they're coming to you because you can see the cloud of dust a mile away.

Cal

We aint out of the woods here either, that tropical system only dropped an inch of rain on my area. We are still three feet behind. I'm feeding hay to what I have left, lucky I had a couple of years worth put back. My little hay field would have turned out 60-80 bales by now and has produced 14. I am lucky as it is in the fork of two creeks and is still growing grass. Some people here have not got anything or have any pasture left.

Outside of the obvious issues with cattle due to the drought..this dust is very wearing..its making my allergies act up something fierce.

novatech":3n0r6jw4 said:
Seems like cattle around here are just standing in one spot waiting for the next hand out.
The sad part is that if we ever do get rain there is nothing left to grow. Any benefit will be from what ever comes up from the seed bank.
and when they germinate ... without good rains those will die

Caustic Burno":yfnm975r said:
Calman":yfnm975r said:

Cal

We aint out of the woods here either, that tropical system only dropped an inch of rain on my area. We are still three feet behind. I'm feeding hay to what I have left, lucky I had a couple of years worth put back. My little hay field would have turned out 60-80 bales by now and has produced 14. I am lucky as it is in the fork of two creeks and is still growing grass. Some people here have not got anything or have any pasture left.

Long way to the edge of the woods....Who was it got over 7 inches...forget without looking it up...they ain't out of the woods either because it's no telling when they get the next tenth of an inch...Those 7 inches aren't going to last any longer than your inch. Only difference is they probably caught some water in the tanks...

Sure is the worst I have seen it in the 25 yrs I've lived here. We have 3 tanks that's dried up so far and hasent been enough wind for the windmill to keep up.Got plenty water in the middle pasture,so we had to open gates to the 2 outer pastures.
Did I mention we need rain?

Cal

drmon.gif

You know...that's a lot of dry....a big shift from the norm over a huge area. What, looks like about 75 - 80 % of Texas is in an exceptional drought.....some of us for a year now. New Mexico about half the state along with a good bit of Lousiana....

You know with the winds weve had....Kansas may be getting ready to go back home.... :shock:

We've had 100+ temps daily since middle of May. Highest so far was 117. No end in sight.

We've had less than 2.5" rain since 9/30/10. Fortunately our 2 wells are still producing...22 stock tanks...cattle probably drinking 5,000 gal a week at least. Everything dry around here for sure. Even weeds are either dormant or dead.

Heard on news that LaNina may be continuing (or another one coming in behind it).

We're watering several pens, alleys, small pastures with portable sprinklers. Probably making 2 round bales a month for grazing...every little bit helps.

Lots of alfalfa heading South on US 83 here. Probably coming from up North/Northwest some place. And...going to the dairies... :(

Calman":7o8uomx4 said:
Sure is the worst I have seen it in the 25 yrs I've lived here. We have 3 tanks that's dried up so far and hasent been enough wind for the windmill to keep up.Got plenty water in the middle pasture,so we had to open gates to the 2 outer pastures.
Did I mention we need rain?

Cal
I still have water in the tanks but you couldn't drown in them if you stood on your head n the middle.

Thought about you folks in Texas today when the fella on the radio was mocking Michelle Obama for talking about food deserts where someone can't healthy food like lettuce to feed their family. Radio guy had a field day with this and reminded everyone of the real drought that is in Texas and the midwest and suggested that everyone pray for those suffering from the drought. I forgot what he suggested Michelle O. do but I remember nodding my head in agreement.

Went to check on cattle yesterday and found another tank dried up.
That makes three dried up and and 4 more to go.But on the good side we've finally getting enough wind to fill the tank by the windmill.

Cal

I feel bad for you all, sounds terrible. I hear people are bringing hay in, and selling it for $80 a round bale-can you afford those kind of prices? What will you do if it doesn't rain-sell animals or buy hay to keep going?
We are dry here too, but nothing like you-hope it rains soon
GMN

Latest posts