Itchy scratchy Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
Numberous cows in my friend's barn are rubbing their hair off by scratching themselves and rubbing on anything and everything. They are rubbing the hair off. The skin does not appear to be even slightly irritated. The skin is intact and appears healthy. Looking closely, I can see no creepy crawlies or dandruff or scaling. The spots are random on the bodies.

I bought some lice powder and used that, and the itching continues. Any ideas??

nycowgirl":nnhdg80x said:
Numberous cows in my friend's barn are rubbing their hair off by scratching themselves and rubbing on anything and everything. They are rubbing the hair off. The skin does not appear to be even slightly irritated. The skin is intact and appears healthy. Looking closely, I can see no creepy crawlies or dandruff or scaling. The spots are random on the bodies.

Shedding dead hari or lice are the most likely culprits. Since you don;t see lice and have used a treatment for them, sounds like dead hair. During the winter the dead hair type of shedding is pretty uncommon in cold climates. Our cimate is a lot more temperate then yours and our cows don;t start to shed until march in most years

dun

nycowgirl":1fdmu5r4 said:

Lice.

If it has just atarted you will soon see them rubbing the skin - bringing on scabs and raw patches.

Best cure?

Should have used Ivomec some time back - such is life.

Get them out of the barn - makes a big difference.

Bez!

It may be lice but some cows just like to scratch themselves bald. We have one that you would think has lice with all the bald patches she always gets but we use Ivomec and she doesn't have lice.

They were ivomec'd fairly recently. This has been going on for a few weeks, and I have yet to see any thing crawling around on the spots.