it SHOULD be easy right

Help Support CattleToday:

You forget, girl cow likes to go shopping, hops fence and walk down highway toward Walmart. Boy cow sees girl cow across road, hops fence to go courting. Wind blows hard from the west tree falls on the fence to the west. Makes life interesting. Enjoy.

i hear ya...powerline trimmers just dropped a bunch of limbs on our fence..and left em...didnt even pickup the branches

bad feet
not calfing on time
2 dead calfs this yr. one stillborn and one 3 days after birth
dangit man...aint had it so bad in quite awhile

dieselbeef":1tj2yavh said:
i hear ya...powerline trimmers just dropped a bunch of limbs on our fence..and left em...didnt even pickup the branches

bad feet
not calfing on time

CALL A LAWYER FOR THE FIRST PROBLEM....

CALL A BUTCHER FOR THE SECOND AND THIRD...

Sorry about you losing those calves DB. I went 17 months without losing one. That's a heck of a streak for me.

I lost one last year, reversed 110# twin... this year I was lucky, had a couple close ones but they've worked out. Small herds can be harder to manage... I've got 23 cows...

Sorry to hear that DB. I guess its just your turn for the negative stuff. In time it will get better. I think it goes in cycles....the good times roll, then the bad times show up, briefly (just to remind of us of how it could be).

It SHOULD be easy (it sounds easy enough) but its never easy.

Hang in there.

Katherine

dieselbeef":yjsnwzif said:

bad feet
not calfing on time
That don't sound soooo bad DB, could be far worse.... ;-)

If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Sorry about your losses Gary. If it makes you feel any better we lost 2 calves last season. One right after weaning. And we lost a total of 4 cows last year. 2 to calving issues. One to a gunshot, one to fast acting pneumonia

What really sucks is when you offer a fella your hay field to test out his new mower on and he doesn't show up and you have to go out and cut it yourself with your old mower and you run over a skunk and get dusted knowing all the while it should have been him being dusted and not you. Now that's just sucks especially when you went out of your way to be nice to someone and help them out.

You did some bad along the way Jo, it's only showing up now...you know the 'wheel always turns' thing ;-)

i got skunks living under my shed...i feel yer pain sir. they ran off the 20 rabbits. those were cool

hey i know the losses are part of the deal..i git it...but if ya realy think about what we are doing..all we are doing is bringing a bull to a herd of cows...he does the rest..then we got steal the babies offa thier momma and the cycle repeats...sooooo...im just saying it outta be easy.

mother nature been doing it forever and cows would still be here w/o us

corey.. you gitting any rain? evryday bout the time i pull in the drive. bet we had 6''this week. it seeded and got mowed twice in the last month..pretty nice change

Yes we are. Not quite as much as you guys since they are all pushing your way but enough to green things back up and get some growth on to stay ahead of them. Once the storms push from west to east we do better. Or a tropical system.

yeah.....but in mother natures world, the lions and bears and wolves would eat a good many of them....watched a thing on national gorgraphic last night about zebras where a new zebra band stallion somehow knows when babies are born to mamas in his band that he did not breed and kills those foals....

Today, is the first time in 2 weeks it HASN'T rained here.
It has stopped soaking in and is now just standing in every low spot and I have mostly low spots.
But yes, there's always a new wrench being tossed into the the cow raising gear trains. Have 2-3 calves I thought should be doing better so I put them on creep back in early May. I can't see much difference but they been eating that creep feed like crazy as far as I could see. Heard the dogs barking last night late, went out with a spotlight and there must have been a dozen raccoons crawling out of the creep feeder. :(
I need to move some hay around and I know dang well I'm going to get stuck as soon as I start.

Latest posts