It finally happened to me!

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
We brought all the cattle back from our leased land before deer season and I went back and picked up the feed troughs. As I pulled into the driveway, a guy pulled in behind me and asked if I would be interested in a couple more longer troughs. Said he had some other stuff too. His mom and dad had already moved back to the grandparents' place on the old family farm and left him to get rid of everything else before he moved there too. Went to check out what he had and picked up the following: 2 14' metal-framed poly feed troughs - $50; 6' pull-behind brushhog (used this summer) - $50; front-end-loader bale mover - $10; 2 10' and 1 12' gates - $30; headgate (just like the one we bought at auction last summer for $125) - $25; 3 16' cattle panels -$10; 2-bottom disc plow - $20. He said he has another shed to go through and would call if he found anything we might want so he wouldn't have to move it. I certainly hope he finds more stuff! I've heard of these stories but this is the first time I ever had it happen to me. Christmas in October!

(Edited from disc to 2-bottom disc plow)

CUZ":1w985xrs said:
It feels good to get a "deal" when you stumble onto one.

I just hope you're not buying "hot" stuff.
That was my first thought until he told me who he was. His mom and dad used to run a slaughtering/processing plant there at the farm. I worked in the mines with his dad for a couple years. They said they already had equipment at the 'new' farm so were only taking the tractors and a few other pieces. Also said if they hadn't found someone to take the stuff they were going to put most of it in old car bodies and sell it as scrap.

fit2btied":22fbii7r said:
CUZ":22fbii7r said:
....they were going to put most of it in old car bodies and sell it as scrap.

I actually picked up some things out of the back of a junk trailer that way. A fuel tank and some other things. Tube steel, angle iron etc. I asked the guy what he was doing with that stuff and he told me headed to the junk dealer, "selling it by the ton". I offered cash for some of the items and he was glad to get it.

Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. Most times I'm a few minutes late getting there though. However, I did happen on a semi load of mineral and feed that was condemed. Truck driver HAD to get it off his trailer THAT day. I told him not to worry, it would be gone by 5:00. Two gooseneck trailers later and he was a happy driver and I had a warm feeling in side - I guess from doing a good deed. ;-) :lol:

PS, I called a bunch of people and offered them free feed and mineral. Can you believe I had some that actually wanted me to deliver it to them! :shock:

Jogeephus":3lamhbp4 said:
Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. Most times I'm a few minutes late getting there though. However, I did happen on a semi load of mineral and feed that was condemed. Truck driver HAD to get it off his trailer THAT day. I told him not to worry, it would be gone by 5:00. Two gooseneck trailers later and he was a happy driver and I had a warm feeling in side - I guess from doing a good deed. ;-) :lol:

PS, I called a bunch of people and offered them free feed and mineral. Can you believe I had some that actually wanted me to deliver it to them! :shock:

Joe, As long as your delivering. :D I'll take some. ;-) :cboy:

Broke my watch band and stopped at WallyWorld to get e new one. They had punkins and miscellaneous Halloween decorating stuff out in front of the store. There was a pallet with wheat straw that said was $6.97 each, now $1.00 each. I asked the girl out there if that was really a dollar a bale. She said yeah, we really need to get rid of it. I told her I'd give her $10 for all of it and her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. She called a manager and then turned around and said sold! Told her I'd have to go home and get the trailer and would be back in about 45 minutes. 24 bales! Can't get it from the local MFA coop for that! This has been a pretty good week!

Sounds right to me Joe.

Fit, when I saw the caption I was hoping you won the lottery. Sounds like you came pretty close! I am happy for you and hope you keep getting good stuff! I think I would buy a lottery ticket. :D