Is this Ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

fireguy

Reaction score
This is my first post so please be kind. I have a total of 8 head of cattle and I have one cow that has had the hair pigmentation change to white on the sides of her neck. Its starting to spread to hear legs now. They seem to be circular in shape. The sizes range from the size of a dime to the size of a cell phone. I scrubed her and sprayed fungas spray but nothing has worked. I was unable to upload a picture of it. Can someone please help me. Thankyou

Can't tell you what it is but ringworm will be crusty so it is not that. I have had a couple of cows that got sick and the area that I gave the meds in turned color. This was extreme cases though.
Also :welcome: from Virginia.

That was my first thougt also that is a injury of some type. But I know its not from giving shots and then it started spreading. This started a couple of months before she calfed and she has no other symptoms. She still eating and walking and the the calf is doing great.[

If she is eating and has no bad symptoms maybe it is just her true color coming out. :lol2:
I don't really have a clue but does not sound like it is a problem.

photo.jpg

Here is a picture of my cow and her spreading white spots.

The picture is quite a distance away, but if I saw that cow in my pasture from that distance I would conclude it to be ringworm. Closer inspection might suggest otherwise, but from here, that's what I would say.

There are pictures of ringworm on this board if you do a search you could probably find something to compare it to.

Ding! ding! ding!
Based on that distant picture, there's not much doubt in my mind that your cow has ringworm.
Keep treating with an antifungal, and make sure that you've got a good balanced mineral mix available.

Lucky_P":339cn3zk said:
Ding! ding! ding!
Based on that distant picture, there's not much doubt in my mind that your cow has ringworm.
Keep treating with an antifungal, and make sure that you've got a good balanced mineral mix available.

I had ringworm last year in my herd. This looks like it but I agree we need closer pics to be sure. If you leave it alone 99% of the time it will go away after running it's course. It will spread to some of the other cows in the herd but it is nothing to worry about.

Not calling fireguy a liar, but perhaps he needs to look closer to assure himself - and us - that this cow truly has isolated spots that have just changed from black hair to white - with no loss of hair or crustiness/scaling of the skin.
Appearance and distribution in the photo are classical appearance of ringworm - but the distance really doesn't allow us to see for sure.
I can think of no condition that's going to cause isolated areas, as shown to lose pigment-producing cells.

Latest posts