Is this heifer big enough to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

coyotefur":7o0fccmf said:
Do you guys think she big enough to breed? Holstein/angus cross. Id guess shes 625lbs.

Looks like a stunted calf those you got to work hard to get them out there slump. I wouldn't feel comfortable breeding herat that size

Not ready, don't think I would breed her for at least 6 months. The holstein in them make them grow more unevenly and they won't continue to grow as much as a straight beef heifer. Have raised alot of them. They also will put alot into the milking end and will not hold their weight if you breed them too young, then they will not breed back because they will just be too thin. I would wait until she is 800 lbs or more, 18-20 months, before I would breed her.

No and doesn't need to be. No need to propagate that.
Good luck with your cattle endeavor though.

coyotefur":19onmd4j said:
Do you guys think she big enough to breed? Holstein/angus cross. Id guess shes 625lbs.

Breed them at about 14 months of age. The common beef breeds should be about 800 pounds at that age. Hard to assess a photograph but if your estimate is correct, give her more time and provide her an opportunity to grow by proper nutrition, administering a parasiticide and good minerals.

Son of Butch":1ks1t11g said:
coyotefur":1ks1t11g said:
js1234":1ks1t11g said:
No and doesn't need to be. No need to propagate that.
Good luck with your cattle endeavor though.

Why do you think she does not need to be bred?
He's saying you can do better. That she lacks the qualities that make a good replacement female.
Well said.

Latest posts