Is this crabgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Is this crabgrass. Little section in one of my pastures that had a bad poision sumac issue I used brushtox to kill it burned it disked and planted ryegrass this winter there is a lot of Baha'i still but I have probably a 100x50 spot of this growing. Where I had the most sumac growing

It's hard for me to tell from that picture. My place is mostly crab grass and Bahia with a smattering of smut grass. Mine is much deeper, cows actually prefer it, yours may be keeping it grazed down.
Old picture of my back pasture it's mainly Red River crab grass.

Caustic Burno said:
It's hard for me to tell from that picture. My place is mostly crab grass and Bahia with a smattering of smut grass. Mine is much deeper, cows actually prefer it, yours may be keeping it grazed down.

CB, you have a rat in your field... :lol:

Yes, crabgrass. 2,4-D, Trimec, and Bayer Acclaim Extra (plus some others) all can control it at that small stage, if you want it gone.

Caustic Burno said:

I pulled cows off it 5-6 days ago this grass is not growing quick as the Baha'i but the cows seem to like it.

sim.-ang.king said:
Yes, crabgrass. 2,4-D, Trimec, and Bayer Acclaim Extra (plus some others) all can control it at that small stage, if you want it gone.

This late in the game I'm
Not gonna waste the money trying to kill it I'm
Actually gonna let cows graze it 1 more time very low and plant rye grass again may mix in a little clover this time. This spring I'll reoverseed with some Baha'i

DCA farm said:
sim.-ang.king said:

This late in the game I'm
Not gonna waste the money trying to kill it I'm
Actually gonna let cows graze it 1 more time very low and plant rye grass again may mix in a little clover this time. This spring I'll reoverseed with some Baha'i

Rye can help control crabgrass, but it will probably be back next year anyways. Good Luck

Take an isolated plant and look down on it. Center root, shoots out in all directions and leafs look like crab claws. Stage of growth for easiest detection is a 10" diameter specimen, maybe 3 or so months of growth. You going to feed or bale it? Go for it. Grab handfull and take over to one of your cows and see what happens.

Texasmark said:
Take an isolated plant and look down on it. Center root, shoots out in all directions and leafs look like crab claws. Stage of growth for easiest detection is a 10" diameter specimen, maybe 3 or so months of growth. You going to feed or bale it? Go for it. Grab handfull and take over to one of your cows and see what happens.
I'll graze it.

It's not crabgrass growth pattern isn't right. I can be pretty sure at the two leaf stage if its crabgrass or sandburs growing. I think you have some barnyard grass or some other pioneer grass.

I do everything I can to encourage crabgrass and even barnyard grass. I love the stuff because cattle do good on it. Very drought resistant and responds to small amounts of N.

I love crabgrass. It really starts to shine during the hot weather from the middle of July till the end of August.
I still say the best smelling hay I put up every year is that lake August cutting full of crabgrass. I love the smell of it.

kentuckyguy said:
I love crabgrass. It really starts to shine during the hot weather from the middle of July till the end of August.
I still say the best smelling hay I put up every year is that lake August cutting full of crabgrass. I love the smell of it.

For some reason, I take a picture on my phone every year the first time I see some popping out of the ground. Not sure why, but I patiently await its arrival every year.

I have what I think is CG because it looks like a Blue Crab with it's pincers extended and up in the air like one in the defensive mode (what they do when you are trying to get behind them to pick them up), X 3 or 4 ea. in a circle. It grows wild around my shop and I thought about buying some seed and planting in my pasture since it proved it's performance in resisting my control efforts and superb growth habits. Don't remember the outcome at the feed store; price or availability killed the idea.

I do better with mixed grasses in my hay patches. So I don't have a problem mixing things up as old systems die off and leave voids that need to be filled. Also mixed pastures mean you don't have all one thing where plant's bad habits could be to your disadvantage for grazing or baling.

ga.prime said:
Looks less like crabgrass than brown top millet. Let some go to seed and repost photo.

What ever it is cane up where I disked and planted rye grass last winter so the seed must have already been down I didn't plant it. I'll be running disk across again and replanting ryegrass and clover on this pasture here shortly if the cows get it ate down quick enough I'm
Not gonna waste all
The good grass that's still standing

Latest posts