Is there a test to see how far along your pregnant cow is ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used Biopryn for a few years years. they test for for a PSPB (pregnancy specific protein B.) even when testing at 30 - 60 days, the results are all over the board. each cow will produce that protein at a different rate which is why they give you a range for the results. may be okay for testing for pregnancy but pretty useless for an accurate due date. unless you want a range of May 1st - September 30. Most members on here that buy bred cows know that sale barn vets also can have the same range as above. a good local vet if you have one available would be your best source for what you want to know.

Even though this is an old thread that has been revived... it is still relevant. Our current vet uses ultrasound and he is very accurate under 90 days... then pretty good with the number of months... Had a retired vet that used to do them and he was good also with palpation... Once a cow gets over 5-6 months, the calf is quite far down over the pelvis and it is hard to pinpoint number of months... but ours has been pretty close if he says 6 or 7 months...anything over that, he says she is RIGHT CLOSE....

Even though this is an old thread that has been revived... it is still relevant. Our current vet uses ultrasound and he is very accurate under 90 days... then pretty good with the number of months... Had a retired vet that used to do them and he was good also with palpation... Once a cow gets over 5-6 months, the calf is quite far down over the pelvis and it is hard to pinpoint number of months... but ours has been pretty close if he says 6 or 7 months...anything over that, he says she is RIGHT CLOSE....

I got one of the local vets a few years ago (@BC knows him). I was at the vet clinic for something or other, and I said "Dr. Goodman, do you remember those heifers I brought in here a while ago that you palpated?" He said yes, he did. I said "You missed on one of them." His eyes got big and said "Really?"

"Yep, you were off by 2 weeks."

Rafter I suspect you are referring to Doc Kinnard. He passed away. Huge loss. Very informative and extremely helpful for large animals. He was my go to person. He was about an hour and a half away. I looked after his stuff here locally when he needed help. His family lives in my community.

Rafter I suspect you are referring to Doc Kinnard. He passed away. Huge loss. Very informative and extremely helpful for large animals. He was my go to person. He was about an hour and a half away. I looked after his stuff here locally when he needed help. His family lives in my community.

No, I was talking about Dr. Goodman ( I even mentioned his name there). He was at the Beard-Navasota Vet Hospital for years, but the last I heard he had gone to work for Multi-Min.

Latest posts