is there a formula for calculating cattles fullgrown height?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
There are formulas for calculating frame score and weight in cattle, are there formulas /charts to calculate a yearling calves full grown height, and to see if they are done growing or not?
Heard there was a formula for measuring if a horse was done growing or not. Seems to me it was to measure from the withers to the "elbow", and from the "elbow" to the fetlock, or something like that, but have forgotten, too long ago.
Just wondered if there was something like that out there for cattle..
Thanks..

There probably is but i don't think it would be very accurate because I think it would have to be breed specific. Probably more of an educated guess. Crosses would be even harder because of the different phenotypes.

The only way to guess is by going with the average growth on a frame chart.

I would just take a measurement of the yearling's current height and see what frame it is on the chart. Then look to see what the height of that same frame would be at 48 months old, when they're about done growing.

For example, if a heifer is 45 inches at the hip at 12 months of age, she is frame size 4, and on average, she will be 50 inches at 48 months at frame size 4.

These charts are at an angus site, but are the same for all breeds.

http://www.angus.org/Performance/AHIR/P ... Score.aspx

Latest posts