Is she too old?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a black angus cow that I bought 2 yrs. ago. I took her to the vet at that time and they said she was 7 yrs. old. This summer she should be 9. How many yrs., if any, can she keep calving? I have tried to keep all my cows in good shape and I cube them every night. Thanks in advance, Phil

She may be 5 with 7 year old teeth or 14 with 7 year old teeth . Unless you know her birth date she is only as old as her teeth . I had a cow that was 14 when I sold her and they marked her a 7 . She should be ok as long as her udder is good and she has enough teeth to eat .

As long as she breeds back, raises a good calf, and holds condition she's only as old as what she does for you.

JSCATTLE":348om87r said:
She may be 5 with 7 year old teeth or 14 with 7 year old teeth . Unless you know her birth date she is only as old as her teeth . I had a cow that was 14 when I sold her and they marked her a 7 . She should be ok as long as her udder is good and she has enough teeth to eat .

She has a calf on her now that was born in early Jan. I have 2 other cows that calved but of the 3 her seems to be the biggest and the one with the most energy. Bad thing is she does have 1 bad quarter. Thanks Phil

hooknline":6uyuc6bf said:
As long as she breeds back, raises a good calf, and holds condition she's only as old as what she does for you.
This is my answer too. As far as one bad quarter, does it affect the quality/size of her calf at weaning? If no, then she's a keeper

dun":20o3agmx said:
hooknline":20o3agmx said:
This is my answer too. As far as one bad quarter, does it affect the quality/size of her calf at weaning? If no, then she's a keeper

Dun - I have 2 steers from her, one is going to the butcher in June, the other one is in the number 3 slot. I try to take one to the butcher every 6 months. I give some of the meat to my sisters. But as far as their weight at weaning, I did not know this was so important. I do not have a scale and the vet I take my cows to has everything but a scale. But at weaning time, I will find a scale. So do I take her in as soon as I take her off her mama and weigh her? Is that what you are talking about? Thanks everybody, Phil

SPJRanch":ew609ohd said:
dun":ew609ohd said:
hooknline":ew609ohd said:

Dun - I have 2 steers from her, one is going to the butcher in June, the other one is in the number 3 slot. I try to take one to the butcher every 6 months. I give some of the meat to my sisters. But as far as their weight at weaning, I did not know this was so important. I do not have a scale and the vet I take my cows to has everything but a scale. But at weaning time, I will find a scale. So do I take her in as soon as I take her off her mama and weigh her? Is that what you are talking about? Thanks everybody, Phil
Weaning weight is taken at weaning time, i.e. the day they're removed from nursing their mothers.

Latest posts