Is it possible to not feed hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I talked to some cattlewomen at the TSCRA convention last year and I plan on getting with them this year to ask some questions. They are in their 60s and both of their husbands are in a better place. They've been partners since their husband's deaths. They operate a cow calf operation and live outside of Aledo, west of Ft. Worth. While talking to them about the drought of '05, they made the comment that the winter of 05-06 was the first winter they've fed hay in 26 years. I didn't get the chance to talk to them about it, but I've been thinking about it since then.

How is this possible with a year round cow calf operation? Any suggestions?

Dusty Britches":tbduvjpr said:
I talked to some cattlewomen at the TSCRA convention last year and I plan on getting with them this year to ask some questions. They are in their 60s and both of their husbands are in a better place. They've been partners since their husband's deaths. They operate a cow calf operation and live outside of Aledo, west of Ft. Worth. While talking to them about the drought of '05, they made the comment that the winter of 05-06 was the first winter they've fed hay in 26 years. I didn't get the chance to talk to them about it, but I've been thinking about it since then.

try this site; http://attra.ncat.org/livestock.html#Grass

Dusty Britches":2tkrt0zo said:

you can stokpile grass on your extra pastures.an start grazing your stockpile in oct or nov.an you can overseed alot of clover rye wheat an vetch.to graze during the winter after your stock piled grass runs out.even doing that id still keep 1.5 or 2 bales of hay in case you run out of grass.this year feeding 35 cows plus calves an heifers we are feeding 3 rolls a wk.winter grass is growing fast with the rain we are getting.so the cows are getting lots of grass to eat as well.

If I had enough acreage to plant more ryegrass and oats I would not have to feed hay either (unless there was a drought, which has been the case) but anyway, we have 3 sectioned off pastures planted now and the cows can stay in each one for about 3-4 days rotationally. I would need 5 more pastures to be able to not feed hay at all but I don't have that. I rotate them in one pasture for 3-4 days, then feed hay for 4-5 days, another pasture for 3-4 days, ect. I also utilized the hay field after our last cutting the cows cleaned up in the trees and edges, corners, ect for a couple weeks. I figure I've cut my hay consumption down by 1/3 at least. I haven't put the pencil to it but I know the cows appreciate the green grass more then the hay so it makes me feel better. :lol:

When you feed hay you aren't making money is a good rule of thumb. Many outfits could get by without hay and be more profitable as well. The most sustainable ranches run out all year and don't feed hay. Hay is expensive anyway you look at it.

Beef11":2dt2s6hx said:
When you feed hay you aren't making money is a good rule of thumb. Many outfits could get by without hay and be more profitable as well. The most sustainable ranches run out all year and don't feed hay. Hay is expensive anyway you look at it.

Depends where you live. Here hay is more cost effective than stockpiling 6-8 months worth of grass. Can buy a LOT of hay for the cost of the land to run that same amount of cattle on year round. But, in areas where winter is warmer and shorter it certainly may be cheaper than feeding hay.

randiliana":2c0icoca said:
Beef11":2c0icoca said:

Depends where you live. Here hay is more cost effective than stockpiling 6-8 months worth of grass. Can buy a LOT of hay for the cost of the land to run that same amount of cattle on year round. But, in areas where winter is warmer and shorter it certainly may be cheaper than feeding hay.

I have talked to a guy in central Ill. that is using a "forage system" that includes brassicas (turnips/etc...) chicory, clovers and grasses who only has to feed hay/grain two months out of the year. Pretty impressive when nothing grows in central Ill. for about 6 months out of the year. In Texas I woudl bet that you could feed, bermuda or chicory in the summer months and brassica/ryegrass fall winter months. grazing is a lot more profitable then feeding. How do you think New Zealand farmers can export milk and meet products and make enough money doing it to start investing in grazing farms in Missouri?

I just read an article on Cattle Net about Kit Pharo in eastern Colorado. He uses a year round grazing system and does not feed hay. The article really got my head wheels turning.

At Berry Hill Farm, the property is currently under lease for grazing and hay but, we're working toward the goal of year around, managed grazing of our herd after the lease ends in 2008. So far, we've planned how we will subdvide the existing pastures into smaller paddocks and how we will provide water to those paddocks and are working on upgrading fencing on the remainder of the property. Additionally, we've planted rye and clover two years running in an experiment to determine what produces the best cool season forage.