is it ok to feed leftover oat seed?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I have several extra bags of oat seed. There are no indications it is treated at all on the bag or seed. It is very good quality seed. Is this ok to mix with some of my sweet feed and use as treat grain?

Vet is coming in a couple days for our spring herd workup and I need enough in the trough to hold the herd in the corral while I entice the stragglers and any calves in the lane so thought I might use this up.

Thanks. Jim

If it was destined for seed it most likely was treating in some way or form. Save the oats for fall planting and rather buy a bag of feed for your purpose. If it was just feed quality oats to start off it most likely wasn't treated and it would be very good feed.

In MN if seed is treated it must say TREATED on the label. It must also include the names of the substances applied. Also it must include the words do not use for food, feed , or oil. Wisconsin has similiar requirments as there is considerable intersate commerce of seed between states.

longtimelurker":1w9sezuz said:
In MN if seed is treated it must say TREATED on the label. It must also include the names of the substances applied. Also it must include the words do not use for food, feed , or oil. Wisconsin has similiar requirments as there is considerable intersate commerce of seed between states.

All of the treated corn and bean seed I have seen in Wisconsin says on the bag treated as you say. this bag has nothing and the seed itself does not look like it has anything on it. I am just not very familiar with oat seed. I know it is fed to horses but was wondering if there were any problems feeding oat grain to cattle. Thank you. jim

SRBeef back in 95 or 96 there was a terrible drought out in portions of SD, Wyoming, and ND bits of Montana. Anyway I bought one mans entire herd of 530 cows with calf at side. I had no grass so they were fed right along side momma and daddy on the ground with a feed wagon. I can't remember exactly the numbers but the ration conatained over 50% oats. I could find the reciepe card if you want exact figures. But all cows bulls and calves ate them.

canadianfarmboy":1l7v8mba said:
There is no harm in feeding oats to your cattle . Rolled would be better for them or barely even better but you wont have any problems .

I would agree the bag should state if they are treated & they would probably have a pinkish powder on them.

Latest posts