Is anyone feeding hay yet?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Even with all of the recent rains, my pastures which are Bermuda have not recovered from the extreme draught of this past summer. Cows are eating nubs of grass. I am seriously considering putting out hay. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Haven't fed any yet, but have protein tubs out trying to make'em clean up. Will be feeding hay in 2 weeks. Only had 1/2" of rain in the last 6 weeks. And it's really dusty dry here with no rain in sight. :cry2:

Nope. We are having heavy spring grass but it will stockpile nicely for the winter. It may make up for the hay we had to feed in july august and early september

As much hay as I have had to feed the past 4 - 5 years....I'm taking this opportunity to say I have not had to feed any hay since December of 2011. It almost got bad enough in July to have to move some to another place and start feeding, but I got just enough moisture to get by without having to do that. Must say, I have about 35% of the herd I used to have, but I've also have time to do other things AND I'm actually keeping more of the cash flow since I'm not spending it on fertilizer, fuel, and the never ending equipment repairs. Even had a neighbor eyeing the grass in a pasture I haven't had cattle on since last November....I've been preaching to myself since 2004 that "less might just return more" but wouldn't put that theory into practice till I was absolutely forced to.

Pulled mine in off the pastures 3 wks ago to allow for stockpiling for grazing beginning in Feb.
Limit-feeding hay and modified distiller's grain product from now 'til mid-Feb.
Hoping for a mild, short winter.

Fed hay in August, rotating through hay fields & stubble fields since then. We'll move to stockpiled pasture in about 2 weeks. We'll be back to feeding hay in December unless I can get some cows sold soon.

Last year at this time I was, but not this year...yet. We were very fortunate and have had plenty of rain. I let the cows up on "the hill" on Monday.(ungrazed all season). Last year and previous dry years, I was at the ahy stage now, having turned them out on "the hill" 2 months early.

Katherine

If it wasn't for the 400 lbs of winter rye, I would be. Some nice rains and the rye is doing nicely. Drought kept me from stockpiling.

Started feeding hay in June, stopped in late Sept, after selling 2/3 of the cattle plus all calves over 300 lbs. Got 2 inches total out of the Sept-Oct rains that dropped 10-20 inches as close as 10 miles to us, and today, started putting hay out again from now til spring. Put out quite a bit of rye and turnips, got a few dust settler showers to bring it up, but not enough to get it to grow. However, I do have several 20-30 acre patches of solid thistles, half knee high.

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I don't have hundreds of acres in which I could close off pastures. I am going to try and hold off until the end of the month and watch their condition, then start on hay in Nov.

Started feeding the 14th of june. Started pushing over timber in july till septmber got 2 1/4 inch of rain in sept. Oct we have gotten 3 inches. Have put out 3 tons of seed got good pasture now. Cattle are putting on weight. Sold calves early 80 to 120 lbs lighter than in a good year. We bailed hay today also tomorrow not good hay to make hailage will have enough to get by with a little grain.

hillrancher":378xvnry said:
Started feeding the 14th of june. Started pushing over timber in july till septmber got 2 1/4 inch of rain in sept. Oct we have gotten 3 inches. Have put out 3 tons of seed got good pasture now. Cattle are putting on weight. Sold calves early 80 to 120 lbs lighter than in a good year. We bailed hay today also tomorrow not good hay to make hailage will have enough to get by with a little grain.
Is there no way you could have keft it to keep growing and fed it as stockpiled grass and let the cows harvest it?

Started with hay 3 weeks ago because of how dry it is. Put down the winter rye at 30#/acre on Wednesday and got .25" right after. 53f low this morning so hopefully it's gets up good.

dun":guce66mk said:
hillrancher":guce66mk said:
Is there no way you could have keft it to keep growing and fed it as stockpiled grass and let the cows harvest it?

No buying on the stump away from farm has no fence around the property.

Latest posts