Is a immature jack safe?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Friends have a miniature jack they want to give me. I can castrate it, but will he be safe for the cows and heifers? Or will he try to have his way with them still?

It will take a while after he's gelded to settle, but I doubt he'll try to breed them anyway. An intact jack just doesn;t make a good companion for cows.

He'll probably try for awhile even after cutting for sure till the hormonal level settles down. Dunno how long it takes tho.

In my experience, stallions or jacks that is gelded at older age they may retain their stallion behavior. My late grandpa gelded his Percheron stud because the stud broke the penis and my grandpa was hoping that he can make a good draft horse out of the stud. Six months later, the stud was sold because we can't keep any geldings with him, even the stud's partner. Also my uncle used to have a gelding that was gelded at older age, this horse displayed the stallion behavior, even he was gelded years ago and do not tolerate any males very well and even mated all mares in same pasture. Tried to kick into me and my gelding while were on the trails. My uncle ended up trade him for another gelding.

It's nothing like cutting a calf. Sometimes a jack will hurt calves. Most don't, but some will.

hooknline":3jj317zu said:
Friends have a miniature jack they want to give me. I can castrate it, but will he be safe for the cows and heifers? Or will he try to have his way with them still?
Just another mouth to feed. Get you a jenny if you must. :???:

One of the new leases has coyotes. So I'd like to get something out there. It's stocked super low so one more mouth isn't a deal breaker

hooknline":2trayps9 said:
One of the new leases has coyotes. So I'd like to get something out there. It's stocked super low so one more mouth isn't a deal breaker
I'd still try to get a jenny....jacks do one thing well....make more jacks. :cowboy:

Yeah, got my feelers out for a Jennie. Seems a miniature immature jack is not gonna work out.haha. The thread title should have said "miniature" and not immature. Victim of auto correct again

hooknline":2eooj2n1 said:
Yeah, got my feelers out for a Jennie. Seems a miniature immature jack is not gonna work out.haha. The thread title should have said "miniature" and not immature. Victim of auto correct again
Jacks a re really good when cooked in the ground!

hooknline":2jujhvtt said:
That makes more sense now. I got to thinking back about my first date, and considered that her Daddy probably thought I was immature. I'm sure her daddy did not consider me safe :lol2:

And yes dun, he'd have probably preferred that I was cooked in the ground then, but we shake hands everytime we see each other now

Hook. spend 17.90 for a dozen snares, you will have fewer yotes, more grass and calves to sell each year.

I have set cable snares for hogs with a lot of success. Just make a loop and use a stick to hold it just off the ground and put bait on both sides. I wouldn't put snares where a cow or calf could end up in it though. As far as coyotes go, we have plenty of them around here and I don't know of anyone ever having a problem with them. I figure a brahman cross cow will give one hell about as much as a donkey anyway.

I've owned donkeys for 39 years. If you want a donk to protect your cattle, you will need a standard size one (44 inches or taller). A mini can't really do the job because of it's size.

The donkey will not try to breed your cattle and if he is gelded correctly, he will be gentle. I gelded our breeding jack (Benjamin) when he was 12 years old and he became our daughters' pet. He never exhibited any studdish behavior for the next 26 years until he died. He liked mares more than donkeys and he was turned out with open mares for the rest of his life.

Now if you want something that will really work to protect from coyotes, get a llama. Our daughter has used donkeys and llamas, and the llamas do a better job. They stay with the livestock better.
Donkeys are sort of take it or leave it. One thing for sure is that you do not want a bred jenny. Once she has her baby, she won't care a flip about the cattle.

Something else. Not all donkeys are good with cattle. I was given a young jenny a couple of years ago because she would try to play with the calves in a mean way. She stomped one to death. : (

Probably wont do snares because I don't go there but once a week.
A buddy told me about the llama too. Does male or female matter?

Latest posts