Ireland

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you want to know? Never been, but some of my family has. Nice place, not near the trouble around as used to be in the <90s. Lots of farming around.

Hook2.0":2ldgegk8 said:
Supa Dexta":2ldgegk8 said:
What do you want to know? Never been, but some of my family has. Nice place, not near the trouble around as used to be in the <90s. Lots of farming around.
Looking at a trip next June. How's the lodging there for someone wanting to stay a different place each night? I think we're just going to ramble around in a rental and play things by ear
We went there several years ago, were there for ten days and did just what you describe. Rented a van and stayed in a different B&B every night. No problem at all finding a place. There'd be a sort of welcome center in every town that would have listings for local lodging. We were there in June also.

We went several years ago in June. I scheduled B & Bs myself on line, rented car. Visited a local Hereford breeder also. Great time, except they drive on the other side of the road and backroads especially very narrow, They drive like crazy. I remember first pub we entered was playing Johny Cash. Very friendly people, get used to being called Yank. We spent one night and day on the Ayran islands, well worth it. farmguy

Lots of tractors in the countryside in Ireland driving down the highway. They must have 2 or 3 more gears than what we have here, seemed like they were going 40 mph. You'd have to catch a passing gear to get around them. Farmguy's right about the roads being narrow. Not so much narrow, but in many places there's flowering shrubbery 10 feet tall growing right up next to the pavement, it's almost like being in a tunnel. Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.

I was there in 1978. FWIW, it was a wonderful trip! We went to Dublin, and traveled around that area.

A friend of ours went last year, and they did what you want to do. They rented a car, did some air b-n-b deals, and drove around. They had a great time, and everything went well for them. There were there for a week.

greybeard":3684lgvb said:
Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.
How are the "strawberries"?
Pics?
Strawberries great. I got pics, but it was before I I had a digital camera. I have an album full of them somewhere.

ga.prime":2cm5mjfo said:
greybeard":2cm5mjfo said:
Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.
Pics?
Strawberries great. I got pics, but it was before I I had a digital camera. I have an album full of them somewhere.
I know what you mean. I have boxes of 35mm paper photos as well, from the pre-digital age. Would take eons for me to catalog and scan them all.

Your fruit shopping suggestion conjured up a mental image of a young woman in peasant blouse selling strawberries, while flashing a pretty smile

but, my own experiences have always been a lot closer (or worse than) this

Wife went a few years ago with a group of girls and they rode horses across the island. She loved it, as well as the people. Pictures she brought home were gorgeous, the Cliffs of Moor stand out in my head.

I work with some guys from Ireland from time to time, they're all happy-go-lucky blokes and drink like fishes. I may go visit them sometime, it's about the only place outside the US that I'd care to see.

Went from Dublin across to Shannon for a week back in 2006. Highly recommended. I have a picture of cows on a beach.

The Guinness plant has an awesome tour with a view of all of Dublin from a tower they have. You get a free pint too.
It's a prettier country than England but you have to see London at some point. It's amazing.

Make sure you go 'round the Ring of Kerry and see Galway. Galway Bay is beaut.
Check into farm stays--we stayed on a working sheep farm during lambing, which was pretty cool. (Note: you will need to walk your shoes/boots thru disinfectant when coming back thru customs, if you've been in the countryside at all. But it's no biggie, just allow a few extra minutes). If you're able, it's a great country to just ramble around in by foot a bit. Lots of cool ruins you won't see from the road. Pick up a Lonely Planet guide or similar and it will help you plan. We went before AirBnB was a big thing but I'll bet there are good ones (and some of the farmstays may list there now). Great way to see/stay in smaller towns and rural areas.

greybeard":qhoy2tl1 said:
ga.prime":qhoy2tl1 said:
greybeard":qhoy2tl1 said:
Pics?
I know what you mean. I have boxes of 35mm paper photos as well, from the pre-digital age. Would take eons for me to catalog and scan them all.

but, my own experiences have always been a lot closer (or worse than) this
After seeing that strawberries will never taste the same.........lol

cfpinz":1kno9y7a said:
Wife went a few years ago with a group of girls and they rode horses across the island. She loved it, as well as the people. Pictures she brought home were gorgeous, the Cliffs of Moor stand out in my head.

I work with some guys from Ireland from time to time, they're all happy-go-lucky blokes and drink like fishes. I may go visit them sometime, it's about the only place outside the US that I'd care to see.

Seems like I had several dreams about cutting hay beside the Cliffs of Moor - I'm scared of heights big time.

FYI - Smithwicks is the best beer on the planet and you'll find it on draft just about everywhere.

Spent a couple weeks there about 10 years ago and did exactly what you're thinking about. Great country side and great people - will definitely go back someday. Don't buy the B&B packages, just book your first and last trip nights and play everything else by ear. Working farm b&b's were great!

If you like large bath towels consider taking your own! Everything seemed to be a little smaller from the roads to the bathrooms. Still makes me laugh thinking about all those luxury cars pulling campers and all kinds of trailers! Trucks seem to be pretty rare.

Beefeater":1gf7fk3z said:
Spent a couple weeks there about 10 years ago and did exactly what you're thinking about. Great country side and great people - will definitely go back someday. Don't buy the B&B packages, just book your first and last trip nights and play everything else by ear. Working farm b&b's were great!

If you like large bath towels consider taking your own! Everything seemed to be a little smaller from the roads to the bathrooms. Still makes me laugh thinking about all those luxury cars pulling campers and all kinds of trailers! Trucks seem to be pretty rare.

Your note about bath towels reminded me: If you're a fan of a wash cloth, take your own. Most of the places I've stayed in Ireland, England and Scotland do not have wash cloths. It still puzzles me! Didn't matter whether a nice hotel, a cheap hotel, an inn, or a b&b. Rarely had a washcloth! :???:

Latest posts