iPad Measure Map Pro

Help Support CattleToday:

Dega Moo

Reaction score
Picked up an app called Measure Map Pro for the iPad gives me a couple of ways to mark out field boundaries, measure perimeters and acreages, view and share the results with others. Can save directly to the iPad or to an iCloud account or to a dropbox account. Can take pictures of your maps or email the map in kml (Google Earth), CSV (Excel), .mmp, .gpx, and .pdf formats.

Includes a tracking feature. You can map and measure a field by taking GPS readings in the field and setting boundary pins. You can set the app to take GPS readings and set boundary pins automatically based on a second timer. Climb aboard your ATV or just take off walking the field boundries with the timer set to say 10 seconds, pause at corners to make sure you get a recording there, then move on. When you've returned to your starting point, turn off the tracker and press a button to close the polygon.

More typical way of marking and measuring is to use satellite imagery. The app comes with Google Earth Maps (extra zoom) as the initial source. You can add (extra cost) Bing, MapQuest and several other imagery sources. It's pretty intuitive dropping pins on field boundaries, moving them around etc. I was up and running with it no more than 5 minutes looking at the help.

There's a "lite" version for $1.99. Can't speak to the functionality of the lite version. I don't think the "track" feature is available in the Lite version. I'm sure more is given up. The Pro version is $33 which is a lot for an iPad app but cheap if that's what you really need.

If you want to use the track feature make sure you have a GPS iPad.

Technology has come a long way. I worked for an ag insurance company back in the late90's mapping crops with a 4 wheeler rigged with a GPS system and a small palm top computer. It was a fun job just ridin all day .

Latest posts