Measure your fences

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
There's days I get tired of patching fences. It seems like that's where all my free time goes. I could probably do that full time for a while, and still not get it all. I've always said to myself, that I had 4.5 miles of fence to maintain. Got a wild hair last night to get on daft logic and measure it all. I'm taking care of a shade over 9 miles of fence. 75% is through woods. No wonder I never get done.

Yep, now multiply that X the number of strands of wire.
I sat down one day and figured out (roughly) how many fence posts I have on 60 then the whole 124 acres. No wonder my back and shoulders are worn out. Dunno how folks with hundreds of acres or several sections do it. :(

greybeard":1w5pxpby said:
I sat down one day and figured out (roughly) how many fence posts I have on 60 then the whole 124 acres. No wonder my back and shoulders are worn out. Dunno how folks with hundreds of acres or several sections do it. :(

This is on 260 acres. How in the world does someone maintain a large tract?

greybeard":3bopeb0i said:

I did and it is like 22 miles of barb wire on this place didn't count the electric

daftlogic has a great area calculator as well-has really helped me w/ pasture planning as well as measuring pond surface area

Latest posts