inyati - snake id help

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
What kind of snake is this , it was about 4' black with the red markings on belly. Tail was tapered some but it was same size from head to tail.

The pic you posted is close but the red didn't come that far up on the sides. I looked it up on the Florida snake I'd site and it resembles either the mud snake or eastern indigo the is rare but I'm just not sure what it is. It was a pretty snake if there is such a thing.

Yes its still alive tried to catch it but it got away and I didn't feel like chasing it down. I seen alot of snakes here and just about every variety of native snakes. I have never seen this one and I know its not rat snake.

M5farm":3fw358ok said:
Yes its still alive tried to catch it but it got away and I didn't feel like chasing it down. I seen alot of snakes here and just about every variety of native snakes. I have never seen this one and I know its not rat snake.
I'd say a Racer snake. Since you couldn't catch him and all...... :cowboy:

Eastern Mud Snake. There is enough varability that the red or orangish bands do not always go as high as they do in some specimens. All specimens do not look like the pictures in books. I have seen almost totally black Timber Rattlesnakes. Too large for the swamp snake which is only 10 to 18 inches. The head is more barrel shaped so not an indigo which is the largest snake in North America. Indigo snakes are heavy snakes, they will impress you when you see a big one at a zoo or serpentarium. They are protected due to their decreased numbers so be a great find to be one of those.

I will bet the farm on the Mud Snake Farancia abacura.

It looks really nice! I have a snake for you to ID as well, but it'll take me a while to find the pictures... about 2 ft long or so, black, yellow stripe along both sides all the way, and red spots above the stripe... was very nice. A while back I caught what I believe is a rubber boa, it was hard to tell which end was which, it was blunt on both ends, and I think it was a brownish olive green.. the one I caught was about 2 ft long or so as well, though I think I saw another (and his shed skin closeby) that was considerably bigger.. I just saw him slither into the grass, but the skin I saw was certainly 3', and possibly 4'. Now I'm bad at identifying snakes because no one knows what's what, and everyone contradicts themselves.. I don't believe the garter snakes get that big.
Biggest snake I've seen here was a king snake I think, gray with white and black in diamond patterns, I think it was a good 5' long and over an inch around.

I've caught a couple lizards and salamanders here too, but they're a really rare find.

Nesikep":1dwhprfn said:
It looks really nice! I have a snake for you to ID as well, but it'll take me a while to find the pictures... about 2 ft long or so, black, yellow stripe along both sides all the way, and red spots above the stripe... was very nice. A while back I caught what I believe is a rubber boa, it was hard to tell which end was which, it was blunt on both ends, and I think it was a brownish olive green.. the one I caught was about 2 ft long or so as well, though I think I saw another (and his shed skin closeby) that was considerably bigger.. I just saw him slither into the grass, but the skin I saw was certainly 3', and possibly 4'. Now I'm bad at identifying snakes because no one knows what's what, and everyone contradicts themselves.. I don't believe the garter snakes get that big.
Biggest snake I've seen here was a king snake I think, gray with white and black in diamond patterns, I think it was a good 5' long and over an inch around.

I've caught a couple lizards and salamanders here too, but they're a really rare find.

Not many snakes in Canada. :D
Your snake is this one. Go down to the subspecies list. The BC subspecies is T. e. vagrans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_te ... rter_snake

But you must read the description. Snakes can vary considerably and garter snakes vary more than most.

Only one snake in NA that fits the Rubber Boa and you described it. Charina bottae.

The big snake is the Pacific Gopher Snake, Pituophis catenifer catenifer. But the old species name was
P. melanoleucus catenifer. When I was in Montana everyone called the Gopher snakes bull snakes. There are about 10 subspecies of Gopher snake so don't expect every picture to look exactly like the one you saw but it is a hard snake to misidentify. Also, the only 5 foot snake in your area. They can be aggressive biters and they hiss. Nonvenomous.
2eea6vk.jpg

THE FIRST PICTURE THE SNAKE WAS SOMEWHAT DULL AND IN THE SECOND PICTURE IT WAS SHINY SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS VENOMOUS OR NOT.....

skyhightree1":z3s4qgi8 said:
If the snake slithers to the left its not poisonous... if it slithers to the right it is :lol:

I believe a person should always error on the side of caution. Kill all snakes that way you don't make a mistake in identifying it.

Dave":2jofkhoe said:
skyhightree1":2jofkhoe said:
If the snake slithers to the left its not poisonous... if it slithers to the right it is :lol:

I believe a person should always error on the side of caution. Kill all snakes that way you don't make a mistake in identifying it.

Dave, please don't do that!!! :D There are snakes having a tough time surviving. The indigo snake is one. But I know it does no good to say anything. Not many people like snakes.

Latest posts