Inverted Teats

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
First cow I have showing up with two inverted teats. Obviously not something to pass along relative to breeding stock, but anyone have experience with their milking ability for terminal calves. Couldn't really find anything on line. Back two are inverted at the ends of the nipple - fronts look fine at this point. I'll try to get a pic, but it's been hard to get a good one in the pasture.

I have never heard of a cow having this before. I don't know if this is just a cosmetic problem or if it will restrict the milk flow, and cause mastitus in a cow or not. I am sure that someone else here has had that problem. Maybe they will tell you about it. I would like to know too.
Chuckie

Yeah, I'm going to try to get a picture. She's nursing a calf now - doesn't seem to bothering her or the calf. Problem is, I can't recall what the pre-calving nipple looked like. Thought it was potentially more common than it is. Maybe in dairy.

I've seen the end of the teat right at the opening being indented but not inverted. Didn;t cause a problem with either calves or the milker

dun":1gcl0xqs said:
I've seen the end of the teat right at the opening being indented but not inverted. Didn;t cause a problem with either calves or the milker

I really need to get a picture. Perhaps "indented" is the better term. When looking at the teats, a normal teat is rounded on the end. These actually appear to be cupped upward so as to look flat from a distance - but only at the end - 80% of the teat appears normal. That's why I haven't been able to get a good pic.

angus9259":le7wq2kq said:
dun":le7wq2kq said:

I really need to get a picture. Perhaps "indented" is the better term. When looking at the teats, a normal teat is rounded on the end. These actually appear to be cupped upward so as to look flat from a distance - but only at the end - 80% of the teat appears normal. That's why I haven't been able to get a good pic.
That pretty well describes what I was talking about. If the udder is normal, fills and emptys all quarters, I sure wouldn;t be concerned

Latest posts