Invermectin does it kill the soil??

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just watching a YouTube vid and it was mentioned that invermectin kills the soil, micro fauna, dung beetles, everything else down there that the grass and soil
Need for growth, Is it true?? Is there a substitute, can I eventually stop using it with the cows as they get older? Is it really necessary to apply this? We usually inject them with it and apply it every six months when the vet comes over and gives the cattle a bunch of vaccines. Usually our cattle get thin because of lack of feed(dry months) Diarrhea is uncommon, if we do see it it's usually with grass that is new growth and I've been told it's because of the nitrogen levels not parasites, that's what causes the diarrhea. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Cydectin has been said not to kill dung beetle's. After 2 year old only worm the ones that needs it.
Only way to know if they need it is to sample them.

Don't believe everything you see on youtube. I seriously doubt ivermectin kills soil....over grazing is another story though....

kenny thomas said:
Cydectin has been said not to kill dung beetle's. After 2 year old only worm the ones that needs it.
Only way to know if they need it is to sample them.

Samples of droppings?

Lucky said:
Don't believe everything you see on youtube. I seriously doubt ivermectin kills soil....over grazing is another story though....

I'm just bit concerned, yes the land has deteriorated over the years but it was because we used bad grazing practices, pesticides for killing weeds and just recently used pesticides to help control a locust infestation we had, they just devoured the grass. Does anyone know if it's true that if I wait over 40 days or so before cattle graze on that paddock I won't have to deworm them ever again? Supposedly parasites die after 40-45 days?? I also saw that on YouTube a rancher in the Midwest said it. :nod:

Chapin81 said:
Lucky said:

I'm just bit concerned, yes the land has deteriorated over the years but it was because we used bad grazing practices, pesticides for killing weeds and just recently used pesticides to help control a locust infestation we had, they just devoured the grass. Does anyone know if it's true that if I wait over 40 days or so before cattle graze on that paddock I won't have to deworm them ever again? Supposedly parasites die after 40-45 days?? I also saw that on YouTube a rancher in the Midwest said it. :nod:

Just because a guy has a camera and a Youtube account does not make him an expert!
Rotation will help as will selective Worming. Here is a good article from Texas A&M on Parasite control.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/ranching/common-cattle-parasite/

As Kenny mentioned I too have read Cydectin will not kill your dung beetles. I started doing things differently such as only worming in winter when dung beetles are not active and only once a year, also no fly control. I am going to start doing samples to see if I should be worming at all. I see alot of difference now in the activity in my manure piles, alot of earthworms and some dung beetles, alot of other very small insects and spiders in the piles. Manure piles disappear quicker also, used to they would stay forever now by the time I rotate back to a paddock they're gone for the most part. I watch alot of the Greg Judy videos and others like that and try to follow some of it. I'm not saying you can believe everything you see on youtube but when you hear it from several people it's worth looking into. Watch "Carbon Cowboys" I believe it's on youtube also.

We haven't used any chemical wormer for at least 10 years. At first we could tell which ones were wormy by condition. They were sold. We occasionally use diatomaceous earth,DE, but only as preventative.

The last several years I haven't been able to get Ivomec injectable so have been trying different brands. Tried Dectomax, Cydecton, Ivermax, and Normectin. Nothing works as good as Ivomec. I honestly think the best way to control parasites is to rotate every 30 days and not hit the same pasture for 90-120 days. The problem with this is the cost for fences, water, and the time it takes to get everything moved. That being said even though I'm set up to rotate the biggest factor and the one that can't be controlled is the weather. Let it get hot & dry and you just have to open the gates and let them eat what they can. Another way to control parasites is to control the flies. The microscope and manure deal is a good thing to do but doesn't control anything and unless you see her in the act you don't know what you're getting.

Seeing as how ivermectin was discovered as a product of a soil microorganism, it's unlikely that it kills all soil microflora.(It doesn't)
45 days is not sufficient time for all infectious nematode larvae on pasture to die off. Might take well over a year for some species in some climates.
Stop deworming the entire herd. All that does is select for populations of resistant worms, more quickly. Mature cows don't need deworming. Like NEVER; unless you're in a liver fluke area.
Diatomaceous Earth has never killed a worm in an animal. EVER.

Latest posts