Internet cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bought some off of Cattle Range a few years ago from FL. Seller delivered. They were not all the same cattle that he sent pictures of. Threw some junk in with the good ones. I learned a valuable lesson.

Bought a Charolais bull a few years back from a guy in SC. Found him on the Internet. Went and picked him up. He was a dandy. But the guy lied to me. A week after I got him home his tool was swelled as big as my leg. And he was never turned out of the lot!

Karma will take care of both of these fellows.

But I've had more good experiences than bad.

allisonr":1pe5z086 said:
[...]

On topic of the dtn article here's my two cents:
When we bid through BreedersWorld, once you submit your bid, it shows the next highest bid needed underneath (or beside I forget) the current highest bid, showing you how much you would have to bid to be the highest bidder. It's a screwy set up and has confused me before as to what the price was if I'm not paying attention. Maybe I'm wrong, but the guy said the new bid showed up under his bid, so I'm thinking his bid was the highest at $4000, and the $4250 was the next increment up. I could be wrong, as I'm not familiar with liveauctions.tv's set up, but I've seen auctions set up like this before.

It sounded like the website owner/auctioneer admitted he posted the high bid then backed out...said he thought he'd let the other bidder "have it" so he didn't have to ship just one by itself. (The other bidder, aka PO'd guy, thought he'd lost Heifer 1 so he purchased Heifer 2 towards end of sale. So, by definition, the website owner/auctioneer waited until the end of the sale to withdraw his winning bid. I rather doubt that's something he would've allowed PO'd guy to do, had he gotten a better deal on a subsequent bid, or otherwise got cold feet...).
:2cents: :2cents:

boondocks":2yq7cmvh said:
allisonr":2yq7cmvh said:
[...]

On topic of the dtn article here's my two cents:
When we bid through BreedersWorld, once you submit your bid, it shows the next highest bid needed underneath (or beside I forget) the current highest bid, showing you how much you would have to bid to be the highest bidder. It's a screwy set up and has confused me before as to what the price was if I'm not paying attention. Maybe I'm wrong, but the guy said the new bid showed up under his bid, so I'm thinking his bid was the highest at $4000, and the $4250 was the next increment up. I could be wrong, as I'm not familiar with liveauctions.tv's set up, but I've seen auctions set up like this before.

It sounded like the website owner/auctioneer admitted he posted the high bid then backed out...said he thought he'd let the other bidder "have it" so he didn't have to ship just one by itself. (The other bidder, aka PO'd guy, thought he'd lost Heifer 1 so he purchased Heifer 2 towards end of sale. So, by definition, the website owner/auctioneer waited until the end of the sale to withdraw his winning bid. I rather doubt that's something he would've allowed PO'd guy to do, had he gotten a better deal on a subsequent bid, or otherwise got cold feet...).
Exactly and that is what it said in the article that the auction company had it in their agreement with the farm that they could drop bids after the auction, other bidders have that option unlikely.

boondocks":3sxha5vf said:
allisonr":3sxha5vf said:
[...]

Guess I missed that! Thanks for pointing that out.
Still seems like a shady deal and I guarantee they lost PO'd guy as a customer.

So, how many other head of cattle did this guy run the price up on? The programs should have a history built into them that shows who was bidding. The website owner could sell his product to the farms by showing results of past auctions and how much more money he can make the them. He easily does it by running up the bids when it is just him vs an individual and if he wins he just pushes it back.
Very shady and I will make sure to never buy from a farm using his product.

Got hosed on LiveAuctions myself. Several times - switching bids, pretending to have a buyer on site, etc.... DV Auction has been a much better experience.

I don't have any problem buying cattle online if there is a video. We bought a couple of clubby heifers online last year from someone we knew. Have bought semen in a Breedersworld auction. As far as selling goes, we use Cattlerange and Facebook. I am done, D-O-N-E, with selling on Craigslist. Way too many tire kickers and just flat out creeps. Had one guy want us to meet him halfway at a sale barn about 3 hours away without ever having seen the bull in person. No way! Come see them here, or not at all. And that conversation was done entirely through texting.

Latest posts