Interesting

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting, a lot of people are doing rotational grazing (Including me), and i think he was saying to put large numbers on small parcels and rotate them, but they have to have something to eat to get the whole thing started and he was starting on bare land. I missed something maybe?

I'm not sure I am buying into the whole thing.
Without a doubt I think high stocking rates for short periods and adequate rest does work, but I am somewhat familar with the desert sw Texas he mentioned and showed photos of and that part of the country wouldn't keep a jackrabbit alive.

The biggest obstacle I see is rainfall, it doesn't matter how you graze if it doesn't rain(and it doesn't)
then nothings going to grow.

Also how can you put that many animal on those properties when it's bare ground with nothing to eat.
I have seen places in NM where they feed hay on bare ground where it has been overgrazed then allow it to rest and the grass comes back due to the trampling of the hay and manure, but again it has to rain so again how are you going to "green the desert" without rain, (A desert is a landscape or region that receives an extremely low amount of precipitation, less than enough to support growth of most plants.)

I was going to rotational graze this year, but it wasn't to save the planet. It was to keep from putting up as much hay.

Latest posts