Interesting Thrush remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

maybe thats why my dad used to tell me if the frog was busted open to blow on it...since oxygen kills the bacteria...yeah...maybe he should try blowing on the hind hoof of a horse that aint been tamed yet :roll:

Heritage_Farmboy":u0djok6d said:
maybe thats why my dad used to tell me if the frog was busted open to blow on it...since oxygen kills the bacteria...yeah...maybe he should try blowing on the hind hoof of a horse that aint been tamed yet :roll:

:shock: :shock: That sounds like a good way to get killed or, at the very least, a serious experience in pain!

msscamp":gcs331or said:
Heritage_Farmboy":gcs331or said:

:shock: :shock: That sounds like a good way to get killed or, at the very least, a serious experience in pain!

I only tried it once...got kicked in the arm...then I started to just take the bellow from the woodstove and used that to blow on the hooves :)

My farrier said that every equine has some thrush. He told me what to do to take care of it, but we are fortunate enough to have sandy soil that drains well, so they aren't walking around in muck or on hard clay. Boy is stinks, though! :eek:

*Cowgirl*":2z7sn4xd said:
Any thrush remedies that actually work besides bleach n water?

I use strong iodine (tincture of iodine). Bleach never seems to dry the foot out enough to get rid of bad cases. Iodine does alot to strengthen the foot also and is better for the foot than bleach, but I agree with the other, bleach is cheap. I do farrier work and I never see any store bought thrush ointments ever work as good as strong iodine except kopertock pretty much is the same stuff.

Ray

cowspider":2kcntn1j said:
You need to be careful not to get bleach or strong iodine above the hairline of the foot. it can and will burn the animal. :cboy:

You might be thinking of something else, I spill strong iodine and bleach on my hands all the time, they are not caustic to the skin. We use to use femaldahyde mixed with methly blue and that actually worked better than anything and that would burn the hair. I can't get femaldahyde anymore at the pharmacy, I think you need to get a vet to get that for you.

Ray

I dont claim to be a pro but I had a bout of this with one horse several years ago. And I had to use some tricks/advice from a farrier to get it cleared up.

It is a bacterial disease and it survives in the deep tight spaces around the frog where there is no oxygen. When dirt collects under the foot over a long time without being removed oxygen levels drop creating just the right conditions for this kind of bacteria to multiply. In fact, oxygen will kill it! If it is a minor case just hoof picking it each day will help rid the frog of thrush.

If you have a more serious case I would suggest you contact your farrier and have him trim the hooves and frog area. This way you can get to the infected areas better and it will help the frog "breath" better - or get better amounts of oxygen.

Then keep the horse is an area where it can not get its feet wet, even from the evening/morning dew. (for the serious cases) Then each day pick the horses feet and treat them with Thrush Remedy by Absorbine.

If you do not see improvments within a 7 day period contact your vet for further treatment. A tetnus shot may be recomended.

Latest posts