Interesting Dilema

Help Support CattleToday:

Funny. We have been gettin rain like the old days too. Set your watch rain. I'm curious to see if it holds.

Yea, CB with no cows to eat it , I got grass out the wazoo . Hay should be cheap this year , cause few people here in Liberty county have any cows to eat it

Ditto. I had to break out the 4x4 tractor to mow our bottoms. Our main pasture is ~85 percent back to normal from the drought.

houstoncutter":213ivpk0 said:
Yea, CB with no cows to eat it , I got grass out the wazoo . Hay should be cheap this year , cause few people here in Liberty county have any cows to eat it

I know that's right. I have 12 resident girl's were 37 used to be. There is not near as many cow's in Tyler county either, look at Crockett used to run close to 3,000 head every tuesday now they are lucky to hit 600.
Have only picked up a few opportunity girl's this year, just hasn't been the quality going through the barn this year.
Had a fellow stop by and ask if I still had my hay equipment, said he couldn't find anybody to bale his place since he sold out. Problem is there are more hayfield's than cow's to eat it.

Caustic Burno":948yznhu said:
houstoncutter":948yznhu said:

I know that's right. I have 12 resident girl's were 37 used to be. There is not near as many cow's in Tyler county either, look at Crockett used to run close to 3,000 head every tuesday now they are lucky to hit 600.
Have only picked up a few opportunity girl's this year, just hasn't been the quality going through the barn this year.
Had a fellow stop by and ask if I still had my hay equipment, said he couldn't find anybody to bale his place since he sold out. Problem is there are more hayfield's than cow's to eat it.
Same issues here. I can rent more hayland than I could possibly roll hay on. Many of the farms here have not had cattle on them for a while so the fences are terrible.

kenny thomas":2zpnti8w said:
Same issues here. I can rent more hayland than I could possibly roll hay on. Many of the farms here have not had cattle on them for a while so the fences are terrible.

Isn't everyone there getting rich plowing up sod to grow corn and beans?

We hardly have any flat land so very little is plowed. I have over 800 acres and would not want to plow over maybe 30 acres of it and it is not all together.

Caustic Burno":93o9nnvy said:
Grass belly deep on the cow's it rain's every couple of day's like it used to.
Life is good on the east side of the state.
We missed yet another opportunity. Rain pizzed out as it got near and the "regroup" went well north of us....missed out on all of the opportunities the week before on rain....even have a hole where the house used to stand. You know how those are supposed to attract water.

I have a lots of so-so decent grass but it's not going to do any more growing with the way things are going now.

Stocker Steve":3pip5nmo said:
kenny thomas":3pip5nmo said:

They are down here. Lots of hillsides and cattle farms around here with corn on them. I'm thinking about doing the same. People are paying $150-$175 an acre for cash rent for most of it.

tripleBfarms":13rk0cyu said:
Stocker Steve":13rk0cyu said:
They are down here. Lots of hillsides and cattle farms around here with corn on them. I'm thinking about doing the same. People are paying $150-$175 an acre for cash rent for most of it.

Insurable row crops pencil out better than cattle in many cases, but getting affordable equipment and developing yield history can be real pains. Cattle con pencil out better when :
1) winter feed is cheap
2) it is too wet to plant but sod grass grows well

I have been a figur'in on this and I think about half of my ground needs to be in grass - - and the other half needs to provide byproducts for winter feeding.

I haven't seen any $45 rolls around here yet, but they aren't $100 ea anymore either.
1st cutting bahia/coastal mix was $55 for 4x5 right up the road from me. He sold it all I believe.
Still seeing some people trying to sell small sq bales for $10 each too.
Plenty of it around tho.
I have better grass than the last 2 years but not belly deep, tho has more to do with my soil than moisture. Still we could use some more rain. Last rain here was a week ago and it came down hard and fast and didn't last more than 30 minutes.

greybeard":wroje6lv said:
I haven't seen any $45 rolls around here yet, but they aren't $100 ea anymore either.
1st cutting bahia/coastal mix was $55 for 4x5 right up the road from me. He sold it all I believe.
Plenty of it around tho.
I have better grass than the last 2 years but not belly deep, tho has more to do with my soil than moisture. Still we could use some more rain. Last rain here was a week ago and it came down hard and fast and didn't last more than 30 minutes.

You are not living right we got rain last Thursday, Sat., Mon and today.

Brute 23":wjsn3s7a said:
I've been doing quite a bit of traveling the last couple weeks. Lots of grass for the most part... very few cattle in the pastures still.

Be kinda hard to put em back as fast as they left.
Cause people hanging on to em pretty tight now.
No one has really started restocking either we are off and running as NOAA say's we are no longer in drought.
My hay guy hasn't been able to cut my field yet won't quit raining long enough, I am not complaining.
I have got 4.97 inches since last Thursday. It is getting mighty dark outside now.

Still pretty dry around this area. Most of my customers hay fields are producing about 60% of normal hay volume. I haven't made a 1st cut yet, in a normal year I'd be making the 2nd cut now. My pastures are green but not growing a whole lot. Enough moisture to keep the grass active but not enough to promote a lot of growth. :???:

Caustic Burno":3n92tjqt said:
greybeard":3n92tjqt said:
Plenty of it around tho.

You are not living right we got rain last Thursday, Sat., Mon and today.
We got 1" today in about 1 hr.

Latest posts