Interested in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30":17q2aqxb said:
Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that's registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches because I heard really bad things about sale barns

A bull will be hard to justify with your numbers. Plus, you are asking for a train wreck in the off- season trying to keep him occupied.

Brute 23":282hq473 said:
Bfields30":282hq473 said:
Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that's registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches because I heard really bad things about sale barns

A bull will be hard to justify with your numbers. Plus, you are asking for a train wreck in the off- season trying to keep him occupied.
You suggest just get the Herefords Ai could I possibly keep him in my front pasture by my house by himself or that wouldn't be good.

Bfields30":fbp0gk83 said:
Brute 23":fbp0gk83 said:
Bfields30":fbp0gk83 said:

You suggest just get the Herefords Ai could I possibly keep him in my front pasture by my house by himself or that wouldn't be good.
Thats actually worse...theyll want out even without a good reason..I've had to put a hot wire a few feet back off the main fence to keep from those up close a personal contacts with the neighbors bulls and cows that are in heat..their labido knows no bounds, a barb wire is just a temporary hindrance to em..

Is there anybody here in east tx on here near winnsboro I could come intern or come learn from your operation on a weekend or something I'm really interested in learning.

Bfields30, sounds like you might be close to me. I'm in northern Newton county. There are several people that free range their cattle here, but I don't. I run charolais mom's and a Maine Angus bull. Get growthy calves that do well at the barn and some good replacement heifers. I also feed out a couple steers every year for Lease payment, my own freezer beef, and sell quarters and halves to help cover the cost.

Txpiney":s46c4ouh said:
Bfields30, sounds like you might be close to me. I'm in northern Newton county. There are several people that free range their cattle here, but I don't. I run charolais mom's and a Maine Angus bull. Get growthy calves that do well at the barn and some good replacement heifers. I also feed out a couple steers every year for Lease payment, my own freezer beef, and sell quarters and halves to help cover the cost.
whats the do and donts of free range like I'm curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

From what I have read in here might I suggest planting oats and running calves. You can plant oats run calves through the winter don't have to worry about summer droughts and the grass going away. I think you would make more money doing calves on oats than a few mommas.

wacocowboy":216we3iv said:
From what I have read in here might I suggest planting oats and running calves. You can plant oats run calves through the winter don't have to worry about summer droughts and the grass going away. I think you would make more money doing calves on oats than a few mommas.
Would be a good way to get your feet wet....

So should I buy some calves grow them out and sell them??? Or what i benefit more buying bred cows . whats the do and donts of free range like I'm curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

They gonna need minerals regardless ,Don't think many on here, do """year round grazing""" If you run into a drought without a reserve of hay, your screwed... Then you'll wind up buying those 50 dollar on up,bales....depending on the demand, or forced to sell out..and the market will be in the tank when you do..takes a whole different management approach to graze year round...

Bfields30":fbv9lxii said:
Txpiney":fbv9lxii said:
whats the do and donts of free range like I'm curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

Cattle can get stole, hit by cars, etc. Like i said, ive not free ranged cattle before. The main guy that does it in my area turns out about 40 long horns and a angus and charolais bulls.

Bfields30":3hw8tpkf said:
So should I buy some calves grow them out and sell them??? Or what i benefit more buying bred cows . whats the do and donts of free range like I'm curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

I say for you the best option is calves. Get some good steers and pack the weight on them.

ALACOWMAN":l3r962uz said:
They gonna need minerals regardless ,Don't think many on here, do """year round grazing""" If you run into a drought without a reserve of hay, your screwed... Then you'll wind up buying those 50 dollar on up,bales....depending on the demand, or forced to sell out..and the market will be in the tank when you do..takes a whole different management approach to graze year round...

Yep. I am thinking on such a small place to do year around grazing you either have to no till plant a winter crop or run less than 10 mommas and sell the calves straight off the bag.

Bfields30":35e4i09e said:

You won't make any money just hauling calves to the auction barn. Your looking at $100 per head margins on calves going to the sale barn. Absolute best case scenario in 10 cows is $1000.

On steers, you are more likely to lose money. The risk is not worth the reward on that low of volume.

If you don't go for a nitch you can sell private treaty, honsetly, it's not worth messing with.

Maybe try leasing out the land to some one to keep heifers or some thing. Offer the land plus your services to feed them and watch them. You could make decent money at it and learn a little at the same time.

Yea I was asking because my neighbor has probably about 40 acres or so has about 20-25 cattle on his maybe more . And he just rotational grazes then and has them on hay. What's a good amount of head to have on 50 or so..

Latest posts