Insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
It was '87 or '88 while I was working for Stone & Webster Engineering (out of Boston) that my health insurance tripled. What the heck? I inquired. I was told, "Legislation past at the state level" was the reason. Turns out Massachusettes passed laws stating that insurance companies had to pay for AIDS treatments. AIDS?

I was living in Texas and Texas had no such laws. My insurance was tripled because of Massachusettes laws. I never would catch AIDS anyway. I simply had to pay for those who did have AIDS, in Massachusettes.

This OBAMACARE seems even worse for me now. At retirement, I no longer remain on my long anticipated company insurance plan. I will pay an extreme amount for less coverage. It seems others get it for practically nothing.

There is a lot of things wrong with our healthcare system and how insurance is handled but from what I see a lot of the problems are brought on by the government meddling and the government's attempt at vote pandering. One thing I don't get is why an insurance company cannot sell insurance in certain regions. This reduces competition thus allowing small monopolies. Obama care seems to be doing about the same thing.

I do think we need some major changes but I think it would be best for everyone if we all - and I mean all with no exceptions - paid a flat percentage of what we make into a national health insurance pool like the countries we are trying to model Obama care after. Granted our government is incompetent and so very dysfunctional but maybe its time we demand more of our government.

For the regional thing to work, the playing field has to be level state to state. It is not. Different states pass different laws. These laws contribute to cost and coverages.

backhoeboogie":f22uxte6 said:
It was '87 or '88 while I was working for Stone & Webster Engineering (out of Boston) that my health insurance tripled. What the heck? I inquired. I was told, "Legislation past at the state level" was the reason. Turns out Massachusettes passed laws stating that insurance companies had to pay for AIDS treatments. AIDS?

I was living in Texas and Texas had no such laws. My insurance was tripled because of Massachusettes laws. I never would catch AIDS anyway. I simply had to pay for those who did have AIDS, in Massachusettes.

This OBAMACARE seems even worse for me now. At retirement, I no longer remain on my long anticipated company insurance plan. I will pay an extreme amount for less coverage. It seems others get it for practically nothing.
$640 each month for me if I were to go Obamacare--and that's the least expensive high deductible bronze plan. Other than a snake bite, I haven't needed a doctor in 2 decades. If I signed up, I'd be paying for someone else's medical care for sure.

Jogeephus":17v3xjdy said:
There is a lot of things wrong with our healthcare system and how insurance is handled but from what I see a lot of the problems are brought on by the government meddling and the government's attempt at vote pandering. One thing I don't get is why an insurance company cannot sell insurance in certain regions. This reduces competition thus allowing small monopolies. Obama care seems to be doing about the same thing.

I do think we need some major changes but I think it would be best for everyone if we all - and I mean all with no exceptions - paid a flat percentage of what we make into a national health insurance pool like the countries we are trying to model Obama care after. Granted our government is incompetent and so very dysfunctional but maybe its time we demand more of our government.

Now how this got started I haven't a clue but each state regulates the sales of insurance and who can sell.
This gets in with the state guaranty association as well. If an Insurance goes under through premiums to the association
you are guaranteed a certain amount of coverage. This coverage varies greatly from state to state.

http://www.nolhga.com/policyholderinfo/main.cfm

greybeard":kl2wttnj said:
backhoeboogie":kl2wttnj said:

$640 each month for me if I were to go Obamacare--and that's the least expensive high deductible bronze plan. Other than a snake bite, I haven't needed a doctor in 2 decades. If I signed up, I'd be paying for someone else's medical care for sure.
Yes but you are a parent with wife and young children, a fall off your hay stack could be costly.

Pay the premium Boogie. I know you're too old to get AIDS via sex but there is always the chance of a contaminated blood transfusion. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Heck I'm on medicare adn this year my medicare premiums tripled ( a hidden feature of Obamacare) because it is based now on income. They also charge me another $33 a month for prescription drugs even though I have a prescription drug policy....medicare supplement is another $140 so I'm paying almost $600 a month for medicare...and that's just for coverage on me alone !!!!

kerley":3vg6du9m said:
greybeard":3vg6du9m said:
backhoeboogie":3vg6du9m said:

Yes but you are a parent with wife and young children, a fall off your hay stack could be costly.
Me? I'm nearly 64, with 8 grandkids and my youngest child is in his 30s.

yeah, I get your drift--I'm paying for someone else's maternity and OB/GYN care. Been down that road before too, 20 years back, when a company I worked for raised everyone's premiums to offer maternity on the group policy. Wife had already had tubes done by that time.
Had the whole works removed about 12-15 years ago.

john250":hk3g5eca said:
greybeard":hk3g5eca said:
Me? I'm nearly 64, with 8 grandkids and my youngest child is in his 30s.

This is why you need maternity coverage.

Got that right as my baby is 34.
I have Great grandkids in the oven.
I don't need maternity coverage mental maybe but not maternity.

Glad we live in Florida for the medicare. As part a,b, or whatever it is is like $119 per month or somewhere around there for medicare. His blue cross supplement, we no longer pay for, Florida does. Don't know why and am not going to ask too many questions. Supplement use to cost $63 per month.
Edit: he receives the max on social security so it is not for low wages over the years.

presmudjo":2p6cqwff said:
Glad we live in Florida for the medicare. As part a,b, or whatever it is is like $119 per month or somewhere around there for medicare. His blue cross supplement, we no longer pay for, Florida does. Don't know why and am not going to ask too many questions. Supplement use to cost $63 per month.
Edit: he receives the max on social security so it is not for low wages over the years.
It's calculated on current income. Has nothing to do with your SS.

Oh, didn't know that part. Thanks. No income for him, just copays to doctors. All clear today on stint today. Hopefully we can get the hernia fixed next so he can do a bit more. Too much walking even hurts.