Inside the Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Some pictures of the inside of the barn. We have 3 smaller stalls, and one that runs the length (29 feet) of the barn.

The headgate, selfcatching, and we don't have to worry about a cow choking if she goes down. Works good.
barn1.jpg

The Maternity Pen. Homemade, all we have to do is swing the green gate around, and the cow is aimed into the headgate.
barn2.jpg

The scale we use to weigh the calves. And the calf puller.
scale.jpg

sure wish that we had more like of a barn like yours. we have a shed with a headgate and 4 stalls. is real nice but nothings like a good ol' barn!

cattleluvr18":2icx9jko said:
sure wish that we had more like of a barn like yours. we have a shed with a headgate and 4 stalls. is real nice but nothings like a good ol' barn!

Ha, that wasn't a barn up until this winter. It was a big old wooden granary. Well built though, and with tongue and groove plank on the inside. If you look close, beside the square bales, is the old door for the granary. We just boarded it over. There is another on the other end too. Measurements are 29 x 19 feet, and, 10' panels just don't fit into that space ;-)

<chuckle> Your setup looks like mine, only my barn was a local seed plants bulk bag storage area. Slapped a few metal panels in it (didn't get the headgate in yet) and away we went. Even left the graffiti doodles that the employees had done. Gives the cows something to look at.

Sure is nicer than having that open face shelter I used to use, if only because the wind is off my back when I'm having a smoke and watching the calf get its first suck. :)

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3s02bmvh said:
<chuckle> Your setup looks like mine, only my barn was a local seed plants bulk bag storage area. Slapped a few metal panels in it (didn't get the headgate in yet) and away we went. Even left the graffiti doodles that the employees had done. Gives the cows something to look at.

Sure is nicer than having that open face shelter I used to use, if only because the wind is off my back when I'm having a smoke and watching the calf get its first suck. :)

Rod

As long as it keeps the wind and rain our eh ;-) . Problem with ours is the dimensions don't support 10' panesl (which we found out are the only thing actually BIGGER than they are sold as) hard to put 10'4" panels in a 29' x 19' building. And it doesn't help that NEITHER of us can measure accurately ;-) :roll: So, nothing is straight. They are all on an angle.

:lol: Mines 20x20, but with 6 inch walls, that left 19 x 19. Same issue with the 10 foot panels and same issue with nothing being straight. Someone with OCD would have a seizure :lol:

This summer I'm going to get busy and build the necessary box stalls, as well as move my maternity chute inside the barn. Then put a ceiling in it, and get a loft built for my junk and a place to hide out. :lol:

Rod

Sounds like us. We may put a lean to on it so we have a little extra room on those cold windy days when half the herd decides to drop a calf ;-)

Latest posts